• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Blazing Pistachios- Alternative to Jalapeno "Juice"?

Started by seb bot, October 23, 2012, 09:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seb bot

Done almonds a few times, figure I need to give the "Blazing Pistachios" a try soon! I've got a big ol' bag of pistachios sitting in the pantry, but I am missing a key ingredient...

Anyone have any suggestions on alternatives for the jalapeno pickle juice? I've got part of a small jar in the fridge, but there's not nearly enough juice. :-\
I hardly ever eat the pickled jalapenos, so I don't want to just buy a jar so I can throw them out to get at their sweet sweet nectar...

Anyone have any alternate suggestions? Maybe just some regular vinegar with some jalapeno blended or ?? I need to go get some green Tabasco sauce, so I may just end up buying a jar anyway, but I hate to waste the actual peppers. It just rubs me wrong!

JZ

I had the same concerns about using the juice since I could only get small jars locally and they were expensive. So I just started experimenting and found different spices that made for great results. I now make 8 racks of mixed  pistachios & almonds when I smoke nuts and don't have a fixed recipe any more. Start by using the ingredients that you do have and substituting for those you don't. If you don't have the jalapeno juice just use pickle juice. I don't use the green tabasco anymore and use chipotle tabasco instead.

You can always do some nuts with one seasoning mix and some with another, then smoke both batches at the same time to see if there is one mix you prefer.

I make the pistachio / almond mix because I prefer the almonds and the wife prefers the pistachios. They are both great though.

squirtthecat

You don't have to pitch them.  Top the jar off with white vinegar after you get the juice out that you need. (don't let the peppers fall out)

After a week or so, the brine will be at full strength again.    Those peppers will give up the goods for at least 3 months that way. 

KyNola saved that little money saver with me...    ;)

PS.   I've also used pickle juice in a pinch, and just amped up the Tabasco a bit.

OU812

seb bot;

You like pickled pepperoncini or hot banana peppers?

The juice form them kinda peppers are great also.

Heck,  I think the juice form any pickled pepper works  ;D

seb bot

QuoteYou don't have to pitch them.  Top the jar off with white vinegar after you get the juice out that you need. (don't let the peppers fall out)

After a week or so, the brine will be at full strength again.    Those peppers will give up the goods for at least 3 months that way. 

That's a great idea, wouldn't have thought of it, thanks STC!  ( and KyNola! ;D)

OU812- I don't usually have any other pickled peppers on hand, but I usually have a little bit of jalapenos for nachos... I don't mind buying more now that I know I can "refresh" the brine.

JZ- will probably try some variant or another at somepoint, but I usually like to stick to the recipe the first time, then try to change later...
How do you do 8 racks at a time? Did you get extra rails for your smoker or just improvise? Last time I did almonds I did 3 lbs at once, they still went pretty quick! I'm starting to see where extra rack capacity could come in handy, I've wondered once or twice if I should have gotten a six rack smoker ::)

JZ

QuoteHow do you do 8 racks at a time

I have added extra rails but you can simply double the racks by putting one rack upside down on top of another rack. Its a little more difficult with nuts since they want to fall off the sides. I use aluminum screen (the stuff you use in a screen door or window) and cut it to size with scissors and roll up the edges. That holds the nuts in.

Here is a pic of my setup. You should be able to put the screens on top of the inverted racks and that should hold the nuts in place.
]

KyNola

Just make damn sure that the window screen doesn't have any type of coating on it.  Cheese cloth would be a better option in my opinion.

seb bot

Thanks for the pic JZ, that sure lets you make a a big load!

If I decide I need more racks, I will probably just go all out and get the extra rails and "factory" racks.

So far for almonds I have been using cheesecloth, but I am hoping Santa will bring me some frog mats! ;D

I am not sure I want to be able to make twice as many nuts at a time though, I am eating too many as it is, lol.

Sailor

I make at least 2 loads of pistachios per week to keep friends and family in stock that I was going broke on jalapeno juice.  I found a great solution to the problem.  I started hitting the neighborhood Subway's and asked them if they would save the jalapeno juice for me.  When they fill up the counter tray with toppings they drain off the jalapeno juice to the sink.  I take them an old jug with my name on it and they drain the juice into my jug.  One week later I have a full jug of juice.  I have about 3 gallons of jalapeno juice in the beer fridge now.   You might also try your local grocery store deli section.  I made friends with the local deli manager and she also save the juice for me.  These places go thru a lot of jalapeno's when making sandwiches.  ;D

4/20

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

KyNola

Quote from: Sailor on October 26, 2012, 05:45:57 AM
I make at least 2 loads of pistachios per week to keep friends and family in stock that I was going broke on jalapeno juice.  I found a great solution to the problem.  I started hitting the neighborhood Subway's and asked them if they would save the jalapeno juice for me.  When they fill up the counter tray with toppings they drain off the jalapeno juice to the sink.  I take them an old jug with my name on it and they drain the juice into my jug.  One week later I have a full jug of juice.  I have about 3 gallons of jalapeno juice in the beer fridge now.   You might also try your local grocery store deli section.  I made friends with the local deli manager and she also save the juice for me.  These places go thru a lot of jalapeno's when making sandwiches.  ;D

4/20
That is nothing short of genius!