• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hickory Salt

Started by JZ, November 08, 2012, 09:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

I have seen some posts where members have smoked salt on some sort of paper....... I think and am wondering if that is a coffee filter or something like that. I want to smoke some salt as I think it would add a nice touch to a lot of foods.  Would that also work with paprika, for sausage recipes that call for smoked paprika or is that something that needs to be purchased. ???

Habanero Smoker

They are coffee filters.

I have been experimenting with infused salts to give for Christmas gifts and to use to season my own food. I now use liquid smoke and kosher salt or sea salt to make smoked salt.

You use 2 tablespoons of liquid smoke per cup of salt, mix the two in a bowl, spread on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, and dry in the oven 200°F until dry. It will come out lumpy. You will need to break it apart, grind now or when you are ready to use it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mikecorn.1

Great idea. I have a batch of kosher I've smoked a few times and still can't taste the difference.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

JZ

Thanks Habs ..... saved me from pursuing a lost cause. :)

mybad

Hab's is it hard to coat all the salt with liquid smoke? Drizzle little at a time?

thx MB

Oh and drying time??

KyNola

Smoking salt is not a lost cause at all but is not something that can be done in a couple of hours.  It takes longer than that for the salt to accept enough smoke for the smoke flavor to be noticeable.  I believe it was 10.5 that just recently did a batch of salt and it took several hours for the salt to take on enough smoke that it began to change color.

squirtthecat

I've done it a couple times.   4 hours at the minimum.  Then it takes on more color and flavor as it sits in an air tight jar.

JZ

Thanks Guys - I recall an earlier thread where someone smoked some salt for a second time before it started taking color.

Hey Squirt does the salt take on a lot of smoke flavor and is it worth doing? Anybody ever cold smoke some Jan's rub? :)

squirtthecat

It eventually takes on a nice flavor and an amber color.   I wouldn't say it was strong or anything like that.

You'll spend far more on the pucks than on the salt...     ;)

JZ

QuoteYou'll spend far more on the pucks than on the salt...     ;)

I have an AMAZN solution to that issue. Only costs about $0.15 and hour for smoke. ;D

squirtthecat

Habanero Smoker

It not a loss cause to smoke your salt. I use to smoke the salt, as mentioned I couldn't get a strong enough flavor that I was looking for. I get better results using the infused salt method, just make sure you use natural liquid smoke. The limitation is that I can only find hickory or mesquite in the stores; so I had to place an order to Colgin for additional flavors.

mybad;
I just place the salt in a small bowl, pour the liquid smoke evenly over the top and stir immediately. Keep stirring until all the salt is evenly colored and there is not noticeable liquid in the bowl. It should look like light brown sugar.

The drying time varies. I start with 30 minutes then stir, and check again after another 30 minutes. If it is still not completely dry check every 10 minute. During the drying time keep the salt in an even layer, as thin as possible. After drying make sure it is fully cooled down before storing it in a non-reactive containers; such as glass or plastic jars that can seal tight.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mybad

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond....I am gonna give it a try.

JZ

Thanks everyone. Maybe I will try both methods, just because. ;D

OU812

Quote from: JZ on November 09, 2012, 04:34:30 PM
Thanks everyone. Maybe I will try both methods, just because. ;D

When you do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,throw in some fresh ground black pepper too,,,,,,,,,,,,,good stuff!

When I smoke salt and or black pepper I throw it in with something Im allready planing to smoke

Like say Im gonna smoke some cheese Ill throw in the salt after the smoke put it in an air tight jar then next smoke, say maybe some ribs throw the salt back in and pull out when the smoke is done and back in the jar.

If the flavor still aint there just keep throwing it back in with other stuff till ya get the flavor ya want

Hot or cold smoke dont matter,,,,,,,,thats the neat thing about smokin salt and or black pepper 8)