• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Well

Started by viper125, November 09, 2012, 12:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

Got a small button buck down and ground! Going to freeze for a week or so to make sure the meats safe. Then if i can get everything to work out will be making about 20 lb of Maple bacon and Hickory Bacon Thanks to OU812 and the spices he sent me. Also packaged enough to make 10 lbs or so of  ring trail bologna! Now I believe the recipe is Nepas  or Ten Points but if Im wrong please speak up and correct me. As I asked him about it one time and he didn't remember it. I like to give credit where its due. And this is awesome and my go to recipe these days. Good enough I stick to it and don't change it or look else where. So I'll post it and see if any one knows for sure. I dont think they'll mind as I copied it off the site.
Silly wabbits
  Trail bologna for 10 lbs. Reduce by half for a 5 lb batch 
7 lbs lean meat preground 90/10 store bought is fine
2 lbs. pork butt
1 lb. beef or pork fat or another lb of butt
4 Tbs salt
2 tsp cure #1.......level tsp
2 Tbs paprika
2 Tbs  onion powder
2 Tbs garlic powder
3 tsp ground white pepper
2 tsp cardamom, ground
2 tsp mustard powder
2 tsp red pepper flakes....
opt but taste good
2 tsp mace
1/2 cup corn syrup solids
1/4 cup powdered dextrose
1.5 cup water
2 cups non-fat-dry milk 

For a 10 lb batch you will need 8 trail bologna rounds. You can use straight bologna casings also. Soak the casings for 45 mins in cold water and 1 Tbs salt added. Rinse before stuffing.   Mix all the above dry with the water.  Stuff casings and ring the end.   Place in smoker at 140* for 1.5 hrs to dry casings. Smoke at 150. Try not to exceed 170* and your looking for a meat IT of 150-155* I normally pull from smoker at an IT of 149-150 and hang, they will climb to temp.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

OU812

Cant wait to see and hear how your ground deer bacon turns out

That blogna recipe sounds good,,,,,,,,,,,,,Im thinkin Stickbowcrafter might have posted it

Tenpoint5

Quote from: OU812 on November 09, 2012, 07:52:21 PM
Cant wait to see and hear how your ground deer bacon turns out

That blogna recipe sounds good,,,,,,,,,,,,,Im thinkin Stickbowcrafter might have posted it

Either him or Nepas. It aint mine
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

viper125

Well I don't know but it is excellent and my go to. Only one caution don't forget the salt! LOL! Wont even say how i know that.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.