• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bacon: To skin or not to skin.

Started by BikrFTW, November 09, 2012, 11:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BikrFTW

Is it better to skin before curing and smoking or after? I am thinking that skinning first would give more contact area for the cure and smoke.
Thanks for the advice.
BikrFTW :0)>>>>

3rensho

Hi, that topic has been covered several times in the past.  There are bacon makers of both schools.  I don't skin mine until after smoking.  I've done it both ways and didn't notice a difference.  But, that's just my experience.  Others will chime in shortly.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

Though it is a pain, I always skin the belly first. I've also made them both ways, and I feel you get more smoke flavor by skinning. I get my bellies from a local slaughter house. I once asked the butcher what is the best way to skin the bellies before smoking. He looked at me like I was crazy and asked; "Why you want to do that for? Pull the skins off after smoking". So I smoke a batch with the skins on, and didn't like it as much. So it may be a matter of  subjective taste, or preference.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Grouperman941

I like to leave the skin on. I don't notice a difference in curing or smoking, and the skin peels right off.

I would skin if adding a seasoning before smoking (pepper or a rub) or if I wanted to make something with the skin.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

3rensho

Quoteor if I wanted to make something with the skin.

Yes, if I have plans for something else that requires boiled skin in the sausage mix then I skin them first and save them up in the freezer.  With a good skinning knife it is not much bother skinning before or after. 
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

BikrFTW

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I went skin off.
1 Tb. Morton's Tender Quick, 1 Tb. Brown Sugar, and 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper per Lb.
Cured for 6 days in fridge. Rinsed and soaked for 3 hours in water. Dried in fridge over night. Dry rubbed with brown sugar before going in smoker.
1 hour at 150 with no smoke. 3 hours of Pecan at 200. It reached 155 after 2 1/2 hours of smoke. Turned off the heat for the last 1/2 hour of smoke.
Now it is in the fridge till tomorrow. Then it will be sliced and bagged.
Thanks again.
BikrFTW :0)>>>>