Anyone have a recipe that is sweet and involves Brown Sugar and Honey

Started by Consooger, November 12, 2012, 04:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consooger

I tried a store bought honey jerky before I started making jerky and I am having a desire to make some of this. I have never tried it and I have ideas, just looking to see if anyone has had any luck with this?

"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

SiFumar

I've used this one a few times.  Add more brown sugar or honey if want sweeter.

5lbs sliced meat
1/2 cup of Dale's Famous marinade.
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce.
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp pickling salt or sea salt.
2 Tbsp black pepper (coarse ground if possible)
1 Tbsp habanero sauce (optional, but recommended)
Dash or two cayenne powder.
Dash or two garlic powder. (not garlic salt)
1 tsp cure #1

Mix and marinade at least 12 hrs or over night.  If not using smoker add 2 Tbs liquid smoke.

Consooger

Awesome, I'm gonna give this a try next week when I have some time off.

Thanks!
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Consooger

-My Wife

SiFumar

JZ

Consooger

I will post pictures of this tomorrow.

And since I love it here I will share the recipe:

for 5 lb batched of muscle I used.

6 oz of Sausage Maker's Honey jerky mix
1.5 cups distilled water
1 tsp cure (pink salt)
3/4 cup DARK brown sugar
1 cup honey
1 tbsp white pepper

CAME OUT AMAZING!!!!!!!
               -My Wife

JZ

SiFumar

Sounds a bit sweet for me....but I know a few folks that will enjoy it.  Please tell me you made a typo in the amount of cure? 1 tbsp cure for 5 lbs of meat???

Consooger

Quote from: SiFumar on December 08, 2012, 07:22:27 PM
Sounds a bit sweet for me....but I know a few folks that will enjoy it.  Please tell me you made a typo in the amount of cure? 1 tbsp cure for 5 lbs of meat???

I stand corrected.....my fingers were moving too fast for my brain. Thanks for fixing me on that one. My mistake.
               -My Wife

Consooger

Quote from: SiFumar on December 08, 2012, 07:22:27 PM

I may tone down the brown sugar next time, however it came out the way I wanted it. It was VERY sticky, almost to the point where it was a glaze that was stuck on your fingers afterwards.
               -My Wife

SiFumar

Thank you for changing the cure amount...don't want it to confuse people who haven't used cure.  ;D

Consooger

and the $$$

it's VERY sticky, not sure if you can see by the picture.

sorry about the glare, I was in a hurry to get this all packaged up for my buddy. This is the venison jerky that he had asked for from his deer from a few weeks ago. Asked for 3 flavors:

Original with hickory
Original with mesquite
Honey/Brown Sugar with Apple

NOM NOM NOM

-My Wife