Bradley's New Website

Started by Habanero Smoker, April 07, 2006, 12:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

The first day the new web site was up I was able to enter the site and navigate around. Since then my Norton Antivirus program automatically downloaded and installed new antivirus definitions. After that happened, I went to your site to download the manual for the new digital smokers. When I clicked to download the news letter, I received my first Norton Antivirus warning of an Internet Worm intrusion. Since that first warning, I have not been able to get past the home page. Norton has automatically blocked your entire site to protect my machine. I can enter and view the home page, but if I click on any of the buttons; such as Products, Download ect, Norton Antivirus stops all traffic from that site.  The status list the risk as High, so I cannot override the warning.

Is there a risk, or is your site acting in a manner that Norton believes that an Internet Worm is trying to get access to my machine. What exactly is the site doing that is triggering my antivirus software?

This is what's being reported:

Intrusion: ICC Profile TagData Overflow

Intruder: www.bradleysmoker.com(216.18.70.132)(http(80).

Risk Level: High

Protocol: TCP

Attacked Port: 1796

I checked Norton's setting and it is now configured to block your site. Before I unblock your site, I would like a better understanding as to why Norton antivirus was triggered.

Thanks.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigSmoker

I'm running Norton AV and have not experienced this problem.  My version is 2005.  Very strange.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

icerat4

Olds where are ya we have an issue. ;D.I have no issue since this new fourm opened.But HABS needs your help . ;D

Oldman

My take is it is a corrupt antivirus definition that is causing you problems.

A couple of ideas to work around this problem.

1.) Uninstall your Norton and reinstall then update. Make sure not to be connected to the net until you are ready to update if you are on cable. Too many network virses out there.
2.) See if you can roll back your definition and then update.
3.) Try a manual update and see it that will correct the problem.
4.) Contact Norton.

As you said you can override the block by adding their IP (Bradley) to your trusted folder.

For what it is worth since I went with Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security all Norton issues for me have stopped. I just went to the Bradley site and nothing popped up on my end.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

gpsmoker

Running Norton AV 2005 here with all definitions up to date, and have no problems with the new Bradley site at all. I suspect it may be as Olds has said, a corrupt AV definition.

Greg
When it's brown its cooking....when its black its done!

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: BigSmoker on April 07, 2006, 05:32:22 PM
I'm running Norton AV and have not experienced this problem.  My version is 2005.  Very strange.
Quote from: gpsmoker on April 08, 2006, 03:48:05 AM
Running Norton AV 2005 here with all definitions up to date, and have no problems with the new Bradley site at all. I suspect it may be as Olds has said, a corrupt AV definition.

Greg
I have 2006 System Works Premier, but the same would have occurred with the 2005 version. You may not have your Internet Worm protection enabled.

Quote from: Oldman on April 07, 2006, 09:27:06 PM
My take is it is a corrupt antivirus definition that is causing you problems.

A couple of ideas to work around this problem.

1.) Uninstall your Norton and reinstall then update. Make sure not to be connected to the net until you are ready to update if you are on cable. Too many network virses out there.
2.) See if you can roll back your definition and then update.
3.) Try a manual update and see it that will correct the problem.
4.) Contact Norton.

As you said you can override the block by adding their IP (Bradley) to your trusted folder.

For what it is worth since I went with Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security all Norton issues for me have stopped. I just went to the Bradley site and nothing popped up on my end.

Thanks for the suggestions, but the program is doing what it is designed to do. For security reasons, I can not disable the Worm protection, and I don't want give Norton exclusion permission until I find out what the Bradley site is doing to trigger this. I sent Martin an e-mail, didn't get a reply, so I posted here, hoping someone else had the problem.

I guess it is not that important, since I can't purchase a new Bradley for at least a year, but I sure wanted to read the newsletter and take a look at the manual. The important thing is that I can still access the forum :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

IKnowWood

HS

if you click the links below do they at least try to download.  Us the "download link" button, instead of the regular left button.

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/BradleyWorld-Spring2006.pdf

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/Bradley%20Digital%20Smoker%20Manual.pdf

(note the blank spaced in the manual, when I want to save it, I replace the blanks [%20] wit [_] so it saves OK)

Try it, If not I can try something else.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Habanero Smoker

Clicking on that link is what triggered Norton. As soon as the manual began to download, Norton stop the traffic, giving me the warning of the risk. I closed my browser and attempted to access the site again, but this time Norton blocked the whole site. I've downloaded and continue to download PDF, .exe, .com an any other files you can think of from a variety of sites, and I have never had Norton do this. That is why I don't want to give permission to access that site until I find out what the Bradley site is doing that is so different from other trusted sites.

It could be that Bradley knows I won't be purchasing any of their products for at least a year ::) ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.

gpsmoker

HS..I do have the internet worm protection enabled on my 2005 version of Norton...and it does it's share of catching those nasty lil creatures..but nothing so far on the Bradley site. All seems to be working fine.

Greg

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: gpsmoker on April 08, 2006, 07:06:28 AM
HS..I do have the internet worm protection enabled on my 2005 version of Norton...and it does it's share of catching those nasty lil creatures..but nothing so far on the Bradley site. All seems to be working fine.

Greg

Well I guess this is going to have to remain a mystery. Just to double check; you have the virus definitions dated 04/05/06?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

BigSmoker

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 08, 2006, 08:13:07 AM
Quote from: gpsmoker on April 08, 2006, 07:06:28 AM
HS..I do have the internet worm protection enabledMeToo on my 2005 version of Norton...and it does it's share of catching those nasty lil creatures..but nothing so far on the Bradley site. All seems to be working fine.

Greg

Well I guess this is going to have to remain a mystery. Just to double check; you have the virus definitions dated 04/05/06?Yep thats the date
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Habanero Smoker

Well this is strange.

I should have my other computer up and running in a day or two. I may try with that. That computer doesn't need as high of a security setting.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

gpsmoker

HS, the definition I currently have is 04/06/06.  I am not sure of what could be causing yours to block the site. Hope it clears up for you.

Greg

Oldman

QuoteThat is why I don't want to give permission to access that site until I find out what the Bradley site is doing that is so different from other trusted sites.
HS I don't think they are doing anything differently. Why not just unplug your net connection,  un-install your Norton, hard boot (total power down/off) for 15 seconds, boot up, reinstall Norton, power down, reconnect your net connection, power up and then update your Norton? That cannot take more than a few minutes. Then go back to the Bradley site.

HS we all go through a lot of servers before we get to the point destination. Run a trace route or ping their server and see just how many other system (hops) you pass through/ make before you get there. Anything could have happened during that connection to their site.

Now let me give you one more item to think about. If everyone else here that uses Norton's and they are not having a problem and those of us that are not using Norton don't have a problem, and if I was using Norton and I had your problem I would have to question at this point if my Norton is even really protecting anythhing...  I cannot suggest strongly enough for you to do the un-install / re-install. Even if you pick up a hitchhiker during your hops and nothing is really wrong with your Norton, it is best to be sure than sorry later.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

It is not just happening once, but every time I had tried to access the BS site.

I have had my problems in the past of trying to uninstall Norton products. They may have made it easier in recent years, but in the past it has not been easy. Norton Primer 2006 a whole suite of utilities, not just an AV, so I don't want to do a re-install for such a minor issue. Even when they give you the option to uninstall part of the suite, things have not gone right in the past.

If it was a site that I absolutely had to access, I would dig into the problem a little bit more. But I have no great need to access the Bradley web site from this computer. When the other one is set up I will access from that one. The other computer has an earlier version of Norton System Works.

Although others are not having the same problem, those that have reported do not have the same version of Norton that I do. The 2006 may have more auto/secure features installed as the default settings. Such as when MS released XP SP2. The default had a lot more security setting automatically enabled. I am confident that Norton AV is functioning properly, just a little over zealous.

When I get a chance I'm going to go to the Symantic site to see if others are reporting similar issues.

I
         don't
                   inhale.