• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Thuringer Question

Started by JZ, November 13, 2012, 09:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

I have 2 books (Kutas & Ruhlman) with recipes for Thuringer and they both start out about the same. Mix and let sit in fridge for 3-4 days, then hang for 10-12 hrs at 65-70*. But then they are very different.

One calls for smoking at 100-110* for 8-10 hrs then bump to 145* and cook to an IT of 138*.

The other calls for smoking at lowest temp possible (less than 100*) for 5 hrs, then bump to 180 and cook to an IT of 150*

Anybody done either of these methods? Given the problems I had with the Andoulle fatting out I kinda want to use the first method but am concerned about the time it will take to finish the sausage. I don't want to be up into the wee hrs of the morning. Also an IT of 138* seems too low. Is that safe?

The second one would take less time but no way am I going to bump the cab temp to 180 after the fat out I just had with the Andoulle.

NePaSmoKer

Here is how i do mine.

Meats

pork 1.54 lb.
beef 0.66 lb.

Ingredients.

salt non iodized 4 tsp.
Cure #1    1/2 t
dextrose (glucose) 2 tsp.
coriander    1 tsp.
whole mustard seeds 1.5 t
allspice 1 t
F-LC culture    0.24g...Use a scale

Instructions
1. Grind pork and beef fat through 3/16" plate (5 mm).
Mix all ingredients with meat.
Stuff into beef middles or fibrous casings 40-120 mm.
Ferment at 86º F for 24 hours, 90-85% humidity.
Flow warm smoke 110º F & 70% humidity, for 6 hours. Gradually increase smoke temperature until IT meat temperature of 140º F

For a drier sausage: dry for 2 days at 70-60º F & 65-75% humidity or until desired weight loss has occurred.
Store sausages at 50-59º F with 75% humidity.

JZ

Thanks Rick.

I don't have a control chamber so can't control humidity and strangely enough neither of these 2 books says anything about it. Just to hang at room temp 65*-70*. That I can do since there is one room in my house that I can keep between those temps just by keeping the door closed to prevent heat from the wood stove from getting in there. I think I will follow your smoke / cook procedure instead of theirs. :)

NePaSmoKer

YW

I did some dry landjaeger and hung in the spare shower. Turned out pretty good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-Sausage Phone.

JZ

QuoteYW

That's hilarious. ;D ;D ;D ;D Did you notice a soapy taste when you ate it? ::)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: JZ on November 13, 2012, 11:42:47 AM
QuoteYW

That's hilarious. ;D ;D ;D ;D Did you notice a soapy taste when you ate it? ::)

Of course not cuz i knows what im doing  ;D

JerkyAddict

NePaSmoKer

pmmpete

If I may explain:  JerkyAddict was making a joke.  There is a bathing product called "soap on a rope" which consists of a bar of soap with a loop of rope imbedded in it, so the bather can hang the soap over a shower head.  Because you hung some landjaeger in your shower, JerkyAddict jokingly referred to it as "smoke on a rope."  Don't be discouraged, JerkyAddict!  Keep those jokes and puns coming!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pmmpete on November 14, 2012, 07:43:59 AM
If I may explain:  JerkyAddict was making a joke.  There is a bathing product called "soap on a rope" which consists of a bar of soap with a loop of rope imbedded in it, so the bather can hang the soap over a shower head.  Because JZ hung some landjaeger in his shower, JerkyAddict jokingly referred to it as "smoke on a rope."  Don't be discouraged, JerkyAddict!  Keep those jokes coming!

Umm yeah i know, wasnt born yesterday ya know  :o

BTW it was me who hung the LJ in the spare shower  ;D