Cheese wax

Started by The Life of Brine, November 14, 2012, 10:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Life of Brine

My blocks of smoked waxed cheese are currently in the fridge.

Does anyone store them at room temperature and will they be ready to eat sooner if not stored in the fridge?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: The Life of Brine on November 14, 2012, 10:33:08 AM
My blocks of smoked waxed cheese are currently in the fridge.

Does anyone store them at room temperature and will they be ready to eat sooner if not stored in the fridge?

When waxed you can store at room temp. If the wax breaks just brush new melted wax on the crack. Someone told me that waxed cheese should not be stacked more than 2

Got pics?

The Life of Brine

Thanks for the reply.
Will see if I can get a photo,

Ka Honu

Do you wax before or after smoking?  If before, wouldn't that inhibit smoke from flavoring the cheese itself?  If after, what's the advantage over vacuum sealing?

The Life of Brine

This was smoked before waxing.
It's all experimental for me. The waxing is fun and sure looks more attractive than a sucked out plastic bag,

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: The Life of Brine on November 14, 2012, 11:25:33 AM
This was smoked before waxing.
It's all experimental for me. The waxing is fun and sure looks more attractive than a sucked out plastic bag,

I think it looks nice also.

mikecorn.1

Where do y'all get the wax for the cheese and are there any other special tools that might be needed to do it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

The Life of Brine

The Life of Brine

My first photo posting, any tips warmly received.
This is 1kg Edam plain and 1kg Colby rubbed in spices prior to waxing.

Cheese wax was NZ$24/kg. The only other thing was a small metal bowl to melt the wax in,
which fits over a pot with boiling water underneath.

OU812

Them hunks of cheese look GREAT!

NePaSmoKer

Those are nice. Did you dip em.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on November 14, 2012, 01:38:32 PM
Where do y'all get the wax for the cheese and are there any other special tools that might be needed to do it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Just google cheese wax. You will need a double pot for melting and a natural boar bristle brush.

pokermeister

How do you figure out how much wax that you need? Did you have a lot of wax leftover?
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

The Life of Brine

The blocks were dipped in lengthwise and left to sit upside down for 2 minutes.
Then holding by fingers only, turned over to complete the coating.

Each block was given about 5 layers, making sure there were no holes.
All very basic and fun to get waxed fingers as well,

viper125

Well they look great! Do you loose much cheese sticking to the wax when removed? Actually we had a pretty large meat and cheese store on the edge of town. Gone and all but forgotten. But an old lady ran it. She had the best every one loved. She would insist you try a slice of every thing you bought or thought of buying to be sure it met your approval. I asked her why hers seemed so much better then every one else's. And she said because they all kept theirs cold. She would keep here in a room that was 50-60 year round. Then when she opened they sit on the counter all day. And then there was no air conditioning. But she insisted that a little higher temps were better then cold. And her sales prove it. I do put mine in the fridge in the warmest section. And when some things going on put them on the table or counter all day with no problems. Think I may leave a few blocks out when these are ready to just see. Thanks for awakening some old memories for me.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.