• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Sopressata & 3 Alarm

Started by NePaSmoKer, November 15, 2012, 08:31:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

While back when i lived in a house i got into dry cure sausage.

Had to down size and sold allot and put stuff in storage.

Been saving these last 2 chubs of Sopressata. Cut one up with some smoked 3 alarm cheese this morning.

One of two sopressata chubs left.

Lunch time.

devo

Rick you been holding out on me, thems good looking chubs. I bet that was a nice snack

KyNola

Oh man, that looks great!  You're making me hungry over here.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: KyNola on November 15, 2012, 09:06:42 AM
Oh man, that looks great!  You're making me hungry over here.

I'm with you Larry I'm drooling all over this new keyboard
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

GusRobin

Looks great, wish I could do dry cure but I would get all confused on humidity control, mold growth and other things.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

smoke em if you got em

OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill

Consooger

Oh man that sopressata looks soo good. That is one thing I really want to learn how to make. I have not yet made the leap to sausage or anything in that arena, to be honest I'm kind of weary. Is this something really difficult to learn how to make? I really haven't read up a whole lot on this. It is on my list for things to start next year.
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

pmmpete

Quote from: Consooger on November 15, 2012, 09:11:01 PM
Oh man that sopressata looks soo good. That is one thing I really want to learn how to make. I have not yet made the leap to sausage or anything in that arena, to be honest I'm kind of weary. Is this something really difficult to learn how to make? I really haven't read up a whole lot on this. It is on my list for things to start next year.
Fresh sausage - easy to make.
Cured (i.e. smoked) sausage - A few more steps, a little more equipment, but still not particularly hard to make.
Dry cured (fermented) sausage - Difficult to make, requires certified pork, requires a lot of special equipment, takes a long time, high failure rate.

Sopressata is a dry cured sausage.  I suggest that you get some experience making fresh and smoked sausage before you think about trying to make dry cured sausage.

Smoker John

The cheese & sopressata look really tasty
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Consooger on November 15, 2012, 09:11:01 PM

Its not that hard. Just read and ask for help if ya need it.

OU812

SiFumar

Chewbacca

Nepas - I am curious on your curing chamber that you use for dry curing. Can you explain the components needed to configure one of these myself? thanks!

josbocc

Rick,

Looks awesome.  I have been researching sopressata for the past year and a half, but I'm still reluctant to try it.  I've never done dry-cured, but that stuff is so addictive.  I have access to an old refrigerator (thereby eliminating the possible temperature swings from a fridge that has an automatic defrost cycle), but right now that fridge is in an outdoor building with no heat, in Upstate, NY.  Perhaps next July would be a good time to experiment, that's usually when we get our first week of Spring  ;D.  It's -1 F outside right now, and I've got whole muscle jerky marinating.  Think I might wait until it warms up a little before I put the jerky in the Bradley.

Man your posts always make me hungry :D.  Thanks for keeping me inspired.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!