• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Another Thuringer Question - Updated with PICS

Started by JZ, November 15, 2012, 03:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

The recipes I have seem to indicate that it is smoked for a very long time. Essentially from start up until it is fully cooked. Is this right or am I misreading it. I have already smoked it for 5 hrs and am continuing to roll smoke. Hope this is right. I have never smoked anything this long and don't want to ruin this batch of sausages. :(

devo

JZ

Thanks Don. Just about done, first one of 3 is out of the smoker and now waiting for the other 2 to finish. :)

OU812

Cant wait ta see and hear how it turns out for ya

If I had that thingy of a smiley face eating popcorn I would stick it here,,,,,,,,,,but I dont  ;D

devo

Quote from: OU812 on November 15, 2012, 07:40:21 PM

If I had that thingy of a smiley face eating popcorn I would stick it here,,,,,,,,,,but I dont  ;D

You mean this one??

Or

Or

Or

;D ;D ;D

OU812

JZ

Just took the last one off and they are blooming as I type. After they cool down to room temp they will go into the fridge for an overnight rest and I will slice into one in the morning and post pics. Still had quite a bit of fat dripping out of these and I hope they didn't turn out like the Andouille I did a few days ago. For these I had 4 therms in the cab to make absolutely sure the box temp did not get too hot. I also bumped temps by 10* every hour until I hit 150*. For the last 2 chubs I had to bump to 160 for 1 hr so it finished in time for me to get my beauty sleep ::). Keeping my fingers crossed. :)

JZ

So here are the pics. First is the dry time hanging in a spare bedroom for 20 hrs at a temp of 67*.

Here they are after the smoke. Note the holes where I had the temp probe and that the sausage around the probe hole has shrunk ..... probably due to all the fat / juices that flowed out of those holes.

And here is the first $ shot. Ya I know the sausage wasn't compressed into the casing properly. This was the end of the small chub which I stuffed by hand from the meat that was left in the horn and the stuffer, which is a lot of meat when you are using the large horn. I used a spoon to dig it out and then shove it into the casing and try to push in by hand. Obviously didn't work that well.

To solve the meat in the horn problem I made a set of these.

Will try them next time.

I almost forgot to mention that the sausage was very good. The wife agreed and I am definitely making these again, only a bigger batch next time. The smoke was not overwhelming like I expected from 8 hrs of smoke. Next time I will smoke them for the entire time in the smoker.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: devo on November 15, 2012, 07:44:58 PM
Quote from: OU812 on November 15, 2012, 07:40:21 PM

You mean this one??

Or

Or

Or

;D ;D ;D

OU812

That there Thuringer looks gooood!

You should "Season" them horn cleaner outters so no bad things sneak in the grains of the wood

Just rub them down with mineral oil let it soak in then heat them up a bit so the grains open up and rub them a gain.

Let sit and do it again till they take on no more oil, kinda like a new cutting board  ;)

Edit; Dont use that mineral you got out in the garage!

Go to the pharmacy and get some food grade oil

NePaSmoKer

X2

Them micro bioligictal critters can be nasty  :o

Caribou

Those came out great :)
Nice stuffer tube collection, too
Carolyn

JZ

Thanks Curt. Great idea and how the H*ll did you know my mineral oil is in the garage (shop actually).  :o :o You been sneaking around in back yard? ;)

NePaSmoKer

I store all my grinder parts and stuffer tubes in a container of rice. Keep the moisture from em too.