• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

pimp my Bradley day 4 DONE!

Started by DetroitSmoke, November 15, 2012, 10:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DetroitSmoke

I finally finished all the mods to my OBS.  Well I still need a shroud around the fan but no problem.What t I did was modify the wiring so that if the rocker switch is pushed to the right I have both heating elements engaged.  If I push it to the center position all heat is off for cold smoking.  Pushing it to the left sets the OBS at factory defaults.  That is that the slider works.  The only difference is that the power indicator is just that that everything has power.  Now the neon light to the left if the switch dims when you slider to a low temp. I also added a switch for the fan.  Everything is is wired after the HI temp cut off so at about 270 or so everything 0s down

I used bolts to make a frame work to hold the fan motor because I have never had much luck bending metal accurately with out the proper tools.  This way I can adjust the nuts to achieve perfect alignment.  I think this is the best way to mount the motor and I recommend it highly.  It's just to hard to correctly to bend metal with out the right tools.

Only thing left to do is to buy a PID unless someone figures out a way to gold  plate their OBS the it starts all over again.  This free OBS have very expensive but it has been a fun ride and I am sure I will enjoy to for years to come.  THANK YOU FORUM for all the information.  With out your help I would not have been able to spend  $500 on a free rescued smoker (2 probe PID soon come).  I hate you all >:( :) :) :) :)   Just kidding

Bradley BTIS1
Dual Element or Single w/switch
convection fan/switch, extra racks
Big Chief cold smoke gen
Kirkland SS Gas Grill
Please buy me a dual probe PID

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Mr Walleye

DetroitSmoke

Excellent job!

Get that baby smokin' now!  ;)

Mike

PS
You think that's bad... wait till you get bit by the sausage bug!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

mikecorn.1

Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

GusRobin

Great job. I like the switch for the fan. Is it wired directly to the fan and the fan to a power outlet? Or is it wired to the OBS plug in back of the cabinet? The reason I ask, if you do get a PID, it controls temp by cycling the power to the cabinet on and off which would cause the fan to go on and off.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

KyNola

JZ

Nice job on the smoker and I like the heat sinc on the back ...... good idea.

DetroitSmoke

Excellent job!

Get that baby smokin' now!  ;)

Mike

PS
You think that's bad... wait till you get bit by the sausage bug!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Yah once you get that bug you won't believe how much it's gonna cost ya to save some money. :o ;) ;D

DetroitSmoke

Quote from: GusRobin on November 16, 2012, 05:37:59 AM
if you do get a PID, it controls temp by cycling the power to the cabinet on and off which would cause the fan to go on and off.

Yes it will cycle with the PID.  I thought this would be a better way to go since I dont need to blow any heat if its off, but then again what do I know.

Any thoughts?
Bradley BTIS1
Dual Element or Single w/switch
convection fan/switch, extra racks
Big Chief cold smoke gen
Kirkland SS Gas Grill
Please buy me a dual probe PID

Salmonsmoker

Hey DS,
After the cost of your free smoker, any $$ left to buy somethin' to put in it? Just wonderin'. ::) ::) ;D

Seriously though, it's all about the challenge and the victory. Well done Gladiator!
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

muebe

Quote from: DetroitSmoke on November 16, 2012, 05:44:10 PM
if you do get a PID, it controls temp by cycling the power to the cabinet on and off which would cause the fan to go on and off.

Yes it will cycle with the PID.  I thought this would be a better way to go since I dont need to blow any heat if its off, but then again what do I know.

Any thoughts?

Well my fan is wired to run independently from the PID heater output and my results have been good. Will be curious to hear your results with the fan cycling on and off so much. There is a lot of cycling of the element once the PID reaches setpoint. So much that the fan might not make it to full speed. The PID will compensate for that after you run the auto-tune for your setup.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

OU812

My fans are runnin full speed the whole time

Hot or cold smokin

Just sayin  ;D

northwestangle1

Detroit, what fan did you use and where did you get it?  Thanks!

beefmann

Quote from: DetroitSmoke on November 16, 2012, 05:44:10 PM

Any thoughts?
i run my fan full time, Partly because there is still heat in the element after the pid turns off, not much  but  some and helps to keep an even box temp , top to bottom and front to back