• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

To Smoke or not to Smoke that is the question~~

Started by wkahler, November 16, 2012, 07:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkahler

Well here's the deal i read the post at the top of the thread i think its time i take the plunge and try to make some sausage.  I am thinking of doing some Italian sausage for grilling, but here is were i am not sure about.  Do i HAVE to smoke it once i am done since i am going to make it a grill for later.  I am thinking of doing a batch and just vacuum sealing them for later on this summer or winter cooking inside.  Also can i use some of the left over hams i have from the pigs we got butchered last year or so i need to use shoulder and butt?  I am sure this is normal first timer stuff so forgive the greenness here LOL!!!
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

Sailor

If you are going to smoke the sausage you need to use cure 1 to keep the nasty stuff at bay.  Smoking sausage is done at a low temp.  Now you can "cook" sausage in the Bradley.  I have done this many times.  Crank it up to 220-225 and roll smoke.  You will cook the sausage and still get smoke flavor.   Once they are cooked you can vac seal them for later. 

If you "smoke" them you need to keep the temp below 175 to keep them from fatting out.  If you cook them at 225 you will have them finished in less than 1 hr and may have some fat out but not too bad.

Just remember that food needs to be below 40 degrees and above 140 to keep nasties out.  Now if you use cure 1 you are safe for smoking below 175.  Hope that did not confuse you.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

wkahler

I know all those basics but what i am asking is can you just stuff it and freeze it and then pull them out and grill them or boil them etc.?  I am just wanting to make them freeze them and not grill them until later.

Caribou

Yes, you can make fresh sausage and freeze them for later.
I make brats and breakfast sausage in huge batches and do just that.
Then grill them or fry them when you cook them.  Boiling would be fine, too.
Carolyn

wkahler

Quote from: Caribou on November 16, 2012, 08:36:10 AM
Carolyn
Thanks alot!!  Now is the cut of meat idea ok or should i stick with the shoulder and butt?

Caribou

Quote from: wkahler on November 16, 2012, 09:09:16 AM
Carolyn
Thanks alot!!  Now is the cut of meat idea ok or should i stick with the shoulder and butt?
You could work with ham and grind it into sausage.  If it is already cured and smoked you will want to take that into consideration when adding salt to your sausage.
Also, you will want your sausage to be at least 15-20% fat to make it moist.  Ham can be lean but if you don't think the outer fat provides that amount you could add fat from other cuts to make up the difference.
Carolyn

Sailor

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

wkahler

Quote from: Caribou on November 16, 2012, 09:18:52 AM
Quote from: wkahler on November 16, 2012, 09:09:16 AM
Carolyn
You could work with ham and grind it into sausage.  If it is already cured and smoked you will want to take that into consideration when adding salt to your sausage.
Also, you will want your sausage to be at least 15-20% fat to make it moist.  Ham can be lean but if you don't think the outer fat provides that amount you could add fat from other cuts to make up the difference.
Carolyn

Ok thanks guys!! Been out of the loop for a while, but i am ordering my LEM grinder today and hope to be banging out some grind after Turkey day!!

Caribou

Congrats on the grinder :)
You're for some fun now!
Carolyn