• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Lems summer sausage

Started by djkost, November 19, 2012, 05:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkost

I'm going to make summer sausage using just beef and pork. 4 # of beef to 1 # of pork and am wondering if this is enough fat? Also going to use Lems spices. Anyone use their mix before? Like to have some input on the ratio of fat to lean, Maybe I can get by using 80-20 beef?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: djkost on November 19, 2012, 05:50:25 AM
I'm going to make summer sausage using just beef and pork. 4 # of beef to 1 # of pork and am wondering if this is enough fat? Also going to use Lems spices. Anyone use their mix before? Like to have some input on the ratio of fat to lean, Maybe I can get by using 80-20 beef?

Yes i have use the LEM SS mix. You fat cut in looks good or why not just use the 80/20? i do most of the time when i want all beef SS, bologna, sticks.

rcger

I'm also in favor of using the 80/20.  It's worked well for me.  Also, while I've never made the LEM's Summer Sausage, my family is in love with the LEM Trail Bologna.  It's great!
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

djkost

djkost

Well the Lems SS turned out good. I made 4 # regular and 1 # I added 1/2 teaspoon of cayann (spelled wrong) pepper. I used 80/20 beef. Both turned out great. Mixed it up and put it in the casings, left in fridge for 24 hours. Used alder smoke for 2 1/2 hours then internal temp to 155. Finished temp was 160. Hung for a few hours to air dry then into the fridge again.

Consooger

"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Tenpoint5

I know it isn't much of a difference but I find 80/20 a tad greasy. So I have been using 85/15 lately, and am loving the end result. You might want to give it a try.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

djkost

djkost

SiFumar

Consooger

looks mighty tasty my friend. Cannot wait to start making sausage AND asking tons of more questions to others who know more than I!
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

djkost

Yes this forum is a good place to get information.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: djkost on November 30, 2012, 03:56:45 PM

Here is the finished product.
Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike