Want to Attempt a Brisket

Started by Panthur, November 21, 2012, 06:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panthur

Hey guys. I want to attempt my first brisket. Can anyone point me to some tutorials or give any pointers please ?
I do have a couple general questions....Its like 10 lbs and there is only me and the wife - is it ok to like cut it in half and freeze the other piece ? ( I know there are 2 different muscles in this cut to deal with so not sure which way to cut it if at all ).What about injecting with beef broth and Worchestershier ? ( I hear some guys do this ). Rub AND inject the night before of course ? I appreciate any help guys, thanks.

GusRobin

Here is a link to the forum recipe site. Youwill find some good info there.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes

Here is a link to another site that has a tutorial on briskets.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882&highlight=brisket+flat+point+fat

I personally would not cut it. I would cook and freeze what i don't eat. On the recipe site it also discusses how some folks reheat. I would thaw and put in a corck pot with some beef broth. That is my way I am sure others will jump in with other methods.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Ka Honu

Cook the whole thing.  Then separate the flat from the point (deckle).  You can then freeze whatever parts you don't want to eat immediately (but freeze whole pieces instead of slices).

Also consider reseasoning and resmoking the point for burnt ends or using it for chili.

I don't inject brisket so can't help you there and the only rub I use is salt & pepper with maybe a bit of granulated garlic.  No real need to apply that until just before smoking.

KyNola

I have injected briskets before.  When I do inject I inject them with beef stock to boost up the beef flavor.

Panthur

Thanks for your quick replies guys.

KyNola

When you are slicing the brisket for service, remember to slice against the grain so you won't have stringy meat to eat.

Kell

Definitely read up on how to cut the brisket once it's cooked.  I think I made a mess by not separating the pt from the flat first.

Panthur

Here's a dumb question. Something has come up now and I cannot smoke the brisket till my next weekend off which is in 2 weeks from now. I will freeze this brisket that I have sitting in the fridge for the next 2 weeks I guess.... but I thought I read in a couple places where people age the brisket in the fridge for 2 - 3 weeks before smoking ??  Only thing, it was not frozen when I picked it up from butcher 3 days ago so not sure how long it has been packaged. Probably just better to freeze it till I can get at it correct ??

KyNola

Ka Honu

Panthur

Thanks guys,.....already freezing. Hopefully there is no noticable quality degrading. Thanks.

Habanero Smoker

You can check with the butcher, he may know the "Use by" or "Shell by" date. Sometimes you will find it on the label.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)