Dehydrator Question

Started by Wingman, November 22, 2012, 11:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingman

Hello everyone just purchased a Cabelas 80 Liter Dehydrator  and want to do some jerky. I bought a bottom round and have it marinating in Cabelas Chipotle seasoning. Any ideas on temp and time?   Thank You

Keymaster

145°F for about 7 hours is what I do for solid meat then bump up to 155° for the last hour or so.

Oh, I can never remember how to spell dehydrater :)

josbocc

Wingman,

I have the 80l Cabelas, and usually do ground beef jerky.  I do 15 lbs. of GB at 140 for about 11 hours.  You're gonna have to experiment with amount vs. time..., but 140 - 150 seems to be the correct temp in the Big C for jerky.  Good Luck!!!

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

FLBentRider

It depends a lot on how thick you cut it.

I do nuggets in my 80L @145F for about 8-12 hours. Start checking after 8.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Consooger

I have the 80L and I normally do mine for 6-7 hours at 145 and then another hour at 155 if needed, at about the half way point I will start checking them. This is for muscle jerky.
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Piker

I have the Nesco gardenmaster that has the air flow in such a way you do not have to rotate trays. I cut my jerky about 1/4 inch thick and in the dehy. for 4 hrs. at 155f. It will bend but not break and tastes great. Piker

JerkyAddict

Piker, if tou ever get the trays up to about 30 on the gardenmaster (and yes it can be done) you will still want to rotate. I used to have the twin towers running till I upgraded. Took 6-8 hours to do a load of jerky thinner than 1/4 inch.  It's an addiction that only grow.

smoker pete

I used the time tested Jerky recipe that NePas posted long ago using his OBS and adopted it for my 80L.

• Preheat the 80L to 140ºF ... 30 minutes
  • 1 hour at 140ºF
  • 2 hours at 150ºF
  • 160º until Jerky is done ... bends
** Rotate racks every hour ... Top to Bottom & Front to Back

After 4 - 4½ hours I started taking Jerky OFF when it passed my bend test

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Piker

J.A. I have only 6 trays which does enough for me altho my friends are getting a biy pushy so I may have to use my OBS. Piker

JZ

Smoker Pete, that jerky looks awesome. Nice job.

Consooger

"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

rsherman24

Nice looking jerky.  I have 6 trays on my Gardenmaster which allows me to fit 5LB of GB jerky perfectly.  I rotate the trays every 40 minutes which works out to 4 hours at 155.  If I don't rotate the trays, the top tray near the heat and fan seem to dry out.

SiFumar

I usually smoke my jerky for 2 hrs before putting in the 80L.  No heat except for the puck burner, then follow Nepa's procedure.

smoker pete

Quote from: SiFumar on November 29, 2012, 03:16:35 PM
I usually smoke my jerky for 2 hrs before putting in the 80L.  No heat except for the puck burner, then follow Nepa's procedure.

Not a bad idea.  I bet a little Hickory smoke makes that jerky taste great.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl