• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Collagen Casings

Started by JZ, November 23, 2012, 07:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

I plan on making some wienies and am wondering about the casings. I have some 22 mm collagen casings that are ok for smoking but not sure if I can smoke then poach with these casings. Anyone know.?

I also have bunch of 35 mm - hog casings and I know I can smoke and poach these, but would prefer something with a little smaller diameter for wienies.

Consooger

"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

NePaSmoKer

Cellulose casings work good for weinies. take smoke and poaching good (non edible)

Old Frenchie

Quote from: JZ on November 23, 2012, 07:03:26 PM
I plan on making some wienies and am wondering about the casings. I have some 22 mm collagen casings that are ok for smoking but not sure if I can smoke then poach with these casings. Anyone know.?

I also have bunch of 35 mm - hog casings and I know I can smoke and poach these, but would prefer something with a little smaller diameter for wienies.

I have used both collagen and cellulose and have smoked them, then finished them in a "hot water" bath. They both peel off easily to make "skinless" dogs but the cellulose peel off the easiest. I've used mostly 24 - 28 mm. Your 22mm may be a bit small but I would imagine they would work fine.

Roger
Original 4-Rack Bradley Electric Smoker
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Weston 3/4hp Grinder (575 watts)
Grizzly 5lb Vertical Stuffer
1st sausage made: April 2012

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Old Frenchie on November 28, 2012, 06:36:27 PM
Quote from: JZ on November 23, 2012, 07:03:26 PM

I have used both collagen and cellulose and have smoked them, then finished them in a "hot water" bath. They both peel off easily to make "skinless" dogs but the cellulose peel off the easiest. I've used mostly 24 - 28 mm. Your 22mm may be a bit small but I would imagine they would work fine.

Roger

Yep they work just fine. Will remind you of being a teenager again!! ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

JZ

QuoteI have used both collagen and cellulose and have smoked them, then finished them in a "hot water" bath. They both peel off easily to make "skinless" dogs but the cellulose peel off the easiest. I've used mostly 24 - 28 mm. Your 22mm may be a bit small but I would imagine they would work fine.

Roger

Thanks Roger, I knew about the cellulose but didn't know if the collagen would work. I will give it a try next time and maybe get some bigger casings. I used 35mm- hog casings for the last batch and the weren't bad for size but still a little big for what the grandchildren expect. The recipe I used produced some weiners that were a little rubbery and doubt the grandkids will eat them. I'll know for sure tomorrow, since 2 of them are coming over after school. How did you make out in your quest for the perfect dog. ??? I would like to replicate the european weiners that are sold around here but can't find a recipe for them.

HuntinFool

I would suggest going with either natural or cellulose.  I have once had some strange flavour associated with poaching a collagen casing.

JZ

QuoteI would suggest going with either natural or cellulose.  I have once had some strange flavour associated with poaching a collagen casing.

Thanks for the heads up. I've had enough failures so I think I will stick with tried and proven. :)

Old Frenchie

Quote from: JZ on November 28, 2012, 07:28:45 PM
Thanks Roger, I knew about the cellulose but didn't know if the collagen would work. I will give it a try next time and maybe get some bigger casings. I used 35mm- hog casings for the last batch and the weren't bad for size but still a little big for what the grandchildren expect. The recipe I used produced some weiners that were a little rubbery and doubt the grandkids will eat them. I'll know for sure tomorrow, since 2 of them are coming over after school. How did you make out in your quest for the perfect dog. ??? I would like to replicate the european weiners that are sold around here but can't find a recipe for them.
When I left out the "soy protein" from my recipe (as suggested by Martin on onother site) I got a product that no longer had the rubber "pencil eraser" texture but still not as "soft" as I'd like. That is why I was looking at the Charcuterie book for some additional help/ideas. Maybe I need to do a better job of "emulsifying" the meat ... the emulsification procefures outlined in the Charcuterie book may help ... The "Master Ratio for emulsified  sausages" shown on page 140 indicates ( if I have calculated correctly) 40% FAT (seems high), 2.5 tsp salt per pound of meat (seems high also), and over 4 oz of water per pound of meat (also seems high). Most of the recipes that I have copied from these forums have no where near these ratios. Not sure if these are more errors, or if I'm mis-interpreting the master ratio info, or if this is the answer to my problems.  I may also look closer at a "vienna" type dog recipe.
Original 4-Rack Bradley Electric Smoker
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Weston 3/4hp Grinder (575 watts)
Grizzly 5lb Vertical Stuffer
1st sausage made: April 2012

JZ

QuoteWhen I left out the "soy protein" from my recipe (as suggested by Martin on onother site) I got a product that no longer had the rubber "pencil eraser" texture but still not as "soft" as I'd like.

Thanks Roger I will try that next time and see if that helps.

John