• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Speed Goat Summer Sausage

Started by Sam3, November 26, 2012, 04:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam3

Using Kirby's recipe here. 3lbs of ground poke and 3lbs of ground Antelope. Smoked with Pecan for about three hours, gonna let them rest in the refrig for 24 hours before slicing. Enjoy the pics.

Sam3

Ok. Well here is the sliced shot for those interested. Came out really good.

HuntinFool

Looks yummy.  IMO-that is the best thing to do with the speed goat.  What a nasty tasting critter. Lol.

pmmpete

I disagree about the taste of antelope.  I like antelope better than deer, elk, or bear, and my wife won't let me make antelope into sausage.  She wants to eat it as steaks and burger.  The only big game I like better than antelope is bighorn.

I suspect that one reason some people don't like antelope is because antelope frequently get mistreated after they are shot, such as being left hanging in camp for a couple of days in warm weather.  As soon as I shoot an antelope, I skin it, quarter it, remove the backstraps and other meat from the neck and ribs, and put the meat in in a cooler with ice. Here is the rig I use to skin and quarter antelope in areas with no trees (which is where you usually find antelope):

GusRobin

Quote from: pmmpete on November 28, 2012, 10:58:40 PM

I suspect that one reason some people don't like antelope is because antelope frequently get mistreated after they are shot, such as being left hanging in camp for a couple of days in warm weather. 

I am far from a PETA person so maybe I don't get it, but why would someone worry how an animal is treated after it is shot ( and I presume dead) ???
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

KyNola

I think he is referring to the treatment of the meat after it is shot.  Taking the meat from the carcass immediately as opposed to letting it hang for hours or a couple days after being killed.

Seems I recall a similar conversation about some moose meat being tough and part of the conversation was the treatment of the moose after being killed.

Sam3

Quote from: KyNola on November 29, 2012, 07:24:34 AM
I think he is referring to the treatment of the meat after it is shot.  Taking the meat from the carcass immediately as opposed to letting it hang for hours or a couple days after being killed.

Seems I recall a similar conversation about some moose meat being tough and part of the conversation was the treatment of the moose after being killed.

Correct.
When I took my antelope in Wyoming, it was 96 degrees out.  :o

Getting it skinned and cooled was a priority to preserve the meat.
Also, the hair on the goats are much different than white tails. Much finer and more delicate. The quicker you get it cold, the better. Otherwise, the hide will "slip". (AKA...coming off in clumps.)

And thank you for the compliments guys. I am really enjoying this SS.

Consooger

if you need my address for some of that awesome looking SS let me know!  :o ;D 8)
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife