• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My first Bradley

Started by RedJada, November 27, 2012, 03:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedJada

On Friday (black Friday) I was able to pick up a Bradley original 4 shelf BTIS1 for $199.00 thanks to a tip from viper125. Yesterday I actually went out to his house to have a look at his set up, sweet. He answered a few questions I had. Him and his wife are really great people.. Today, I got mail. My apple bisquettes arrived as well as the Maverick 732 wireless thermometer. So this coming Saturday I will get'er seasoned up and do the first smoke in the Bradley. Thinking chicken or ribs? Seeing how we will be eating left over turkey for the next day or two, Ill probably go with ribs. Spares or BB? I don't know... Ill post some photos on how it goes. But I need to warn you, checking, monitoring, smelling. Sometimes its hard to get a photo of the final product.... You know how it is :P :P :P

viper125

Rule here is no pics didn't happen! LOL! Love ribs but do mostly the boneless country style for us. We cut from pork butt really good. When dad comes we do racks as he prefers chewing off the bone so to speak, But i think if you have to chew much their too tough! LOL! Good luck and sure you'll do good. Just dont do like some with the Bradley and think you can demand a time to be done. Its done when its done. ;D Lots of sauces and rub recipes hee to if your interested. For ribs Id suggest the Jan's rub one of the best.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

beefmann

welcome aboard, Viper has pointed you in the right direction, ask questions and people with experiences in what you are looking for will give there advice and what works for them.

i would go with ribs for a first go,,, as for pics, what you  can do is  show them seasoned, into the smoker and a pic once they  come out

Bear1968

Hey Red!
Ribs are always a GREAT choice as a follow up to the Holidays!
....and um ....... Pic's or it was a rack of Unicorn Ribs  :)
UBC Local 268

Keymaster

Welcome aboard Red, Hope its ok to call you Red. Look forward to seeing some of your Beef or pork ribs (No Squirrell)  ;)

Bear1968

Quote from: Keymaster on November 27, 2012, 04:36:21 PM
Welcome aboard Red, Hope its ok to call you Red. Look forward to seeing some of your Beef or pork ribs (No Squirrell)  ;)

Dang! There goes my next project out the window  :-[
UBC Local 268

Consooger

welcome aboard Red, this place is awesome let me tell you, you have no idea what you got yourself into. GREAT HOBBY/ADDICTION
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

mikecorn.1

Welcome aboard.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

Silvergrizz

Welcome, I just can't enough about this place. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedJada

Thanks everyone, Looks like there may be some kind of subliminal messages going on here. After reading the replies here, for some reason I'm thinking ribs for the first smoke. Generally when I do ribs I start with a dry rub.

Yellow mustard to help it stick (sometimes I do this, sometimes I don't) So in no particular order.

Garlic power
Onion power
paprika
Brown sugar
salt
Black pepper
(and sometimes if the wife isn't watching, some kind of crushed/ground pepper)

That's the base anyway, I always go by taste.

I will post pics as of the whole proses. As for beefman's reply "as for pics, what you  can do is  show them seasoned, into the smoker and a pic once they  come out" I don't understand what he means by the coming out part. Is he referring to the day of or the day after?  ;D ;D ;D

viper125

Well most the time you show them fresh out of smoker. Also Most add a Money shot" Like ribs might be on the plate with the sides and ready to eat,or sausage may be sliced sho wing the insides and all. Really what ever you want. But if you look at some of the ones on here you'll soon see what they mean. Beast thing next to eating it,is to slobber thinking about eating it. LOL!   ::)
Inside setup.

RedJada

Here we are. Friday after work. Going out to do the season thing on the Bradley. First time playing with my new toy.

Bear1968

UBC Local 268

RedJada

Well, it's worth reading directions. I waited 40 minutes for smoke and nothing. Re-read the directions. I swear it said to push the button to advance the puck. Someone must have changed them directions behind my back. When I read them again, it said press the button until the puck advances to the burning tray. LOL. Smoking good now.
On a side note. I bought the Maverick 732 wireless thermometer for the Bradley. Looks like Im cooking 10 degrees hotter than what the dial says. Cant play with the remote because I didn't get the batteries for it. Although there is a spot for them in the package. I guess this is normal?
With the temp difference, I can see where the pid is going to be a very good investment.

viper125

If you mean dial thermometer on front you should remember I said forget that. As its notorious for being wrong! LOL! I also have a differance in the Maverick and pid too. But use the maverick  to watch the meat then use a thermometer to check all over.
Inside setup.