• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bad weather

Started by Piker, November 28, 2012, 05:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piker

I have a bunch of pork bellies ready to go. My question is can I just rinse them off, slice and then vacuum pack? I usually smoke them for a couple of hrs. but the weather is very cold and since these slabs have lots of spices from the rubs I am hoping they will be allright. Thks Piker

Tenpoint5

The cold shouldn't be that big of a factor. As long as it isn't windy. I would suggest following your normal routine. Add boiling water to the water bowl to help the cabinet heat up faster or even a foil wrapped brick that you preheated in the house oven to help with recovery time when you open the door.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

beefmann

KyNola

I agree with Tenpoint5's advice 100% but if you are dead set on abandoning the project I have a question for you.  Are you going to freeze them after slicing and vac pack to smoke later?  If you are planning to smoke later, I would suggest you not slice them individually.  If you have to cut the bellies into smaller slabs in order to fit the bag I would do that rather than individual slices.

Other folks more knowledgeable than me will be by to give you better advice.

NePaSmoKer

Piker

Thanks for the replies. My main concern is the smoking, do the slabs really need smoke. My plan was to slice, vac pack and then freeze but later unthaw and fry as usual. I am not a huge fan of smoke a little is allright but I put them in the smoker mainly so its much easier to get the rind off after. Thks again. Piker

KyNola

If you're not to smoke the bellies then by all means, go ahead and slice into individual slices, vac pack and tuck away in the freezer.  That's exactly what I do after smoking bellies for bacon.  I make sure they are nice and dry prior to putting in the vac bags. 

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Piker on November 28, 2012, 05:37:24 AM
I have a bunch of pork bellies ready to go. My question is can I just rinse them off, slice and then vacuum pack? I usually smoke them for a couple of hrs. but the weather is very cold and since these slabs have lots of spices from the rubs I am hoping they will be allright. Thks Piker

Yes you can do that. Not all bacon is smoked.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Piker

Once again thanks to you all. I should clarify about the weather does not affect the bradley, its just me with my worn out knees getting to the shed and back. Piker

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Piker on November 28, 2012, 02:04:20 PM
Once again thanks to you all. I should clarify about the weather does not affect the bradley, its just me with my worn out knees getting to the shed and back. Piker

Hey! You are preaching to the choir.  ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)