• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cabelas Grinder as stuffer

Started by STLstyle, December 04, 2012, 09:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STLstyle

Anyone use their cabelas grinder as their stuffer?  I'm gonna try out my first deer sausage run this weekend so I'm looking for any tips.

I like the smaller pepperoni size casings.  Bought some fibrous ones from b&p.  I hope fibrous will accept smoke ok?

Last thing.  How does internal temp define texture of the deer sausage?  I like a firmer texture if possible.

Thx!
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

watchdog56

I have a small grinder I got at Gander Mountain. Can't remember the size but it was around $80. I tried stuffing with that and it took a looooonnnggg time. I broke down and bought a %3 stuffer from LEM and boy what a difference. Way faster and easy to clean. IMO a stuffer is the way to go. Stuffers suff- grinders-grind.

pmmpete

STLstyle asked, "How does internal temp define texture of the deer sausage?  I like a firmer texture if possible."  The reason you need to bring sausage to an internal temperature of 160 degrees, or to somewhat lower temperatures for longer periods of time, is to kill the microorganisms which can cause food poisoning.  There is some information about this issue on a recent thread,   http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=30643.0 .  So you need to get your sausages hot enough to kill microorganisms in order to produce safe sausages.  On the other hand, if you let the temperature of your sausages get above 160 degrees, you may melt the fat out of your sausages, which will screw them up badly.  So don't let your sausages get too hot.

I'll let people with more experience explain how you can adjust your recipe or add binders to produce more firm sausages.

Keymaster

Try and get someone to help you. It takes one person to feed the ground meat into the grinder and one person to fill the casings and run the power switch. I guarantee you if you try it alone it will probably be the last time your grinder stuffs casings one manned.

STLstyle

I did buy the foot pedal attachment as on/off power for the grinder to attempt to make the stuffing easier.

For this smoke this will have to work...
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod

Tenpoint5

There's a reason they call it a GRINDER and not a Stuffer!!  Just say'n OK back to my corner
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

STLstyle

Before you go back to your corner,  what stuffer is ideal for DBS6 loads and your hanger system?  Size and brand please.  Thx!

If I get organized this weekend I'll take pics of my sausage adventure.

Thanks!
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod

NePaSmoKer

If your going to use a grinder for stuffing wheather it be a Cabelas or LEM you will need the stuffer kits with the cyclone auger. Without this you will smear the fat in the meat and get the mix to hot thus making the sausage prone to a fat-out and dry meat.

Here is ths cyclone auger on my 1/2hp Cabelas.
Cyclone auger snaps to the front of the metal auger. you will not use a blade and plate here.

Stuffer needle slides over the cyclone.

Assembled stuffer needle.

STLstyle

That's the same grinder I have.  So you don't use the stuffer blade I see on the table with the stuffer? This setup is different than the instructions correct?

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: STLstyle on December 04, 2012, 12:48:42 PM
That's the same grinder I have.  So you don't use the stuffer blade I see on the table with the stuffer? This setup is different than the instructions correct?

Thats called a stuffing star. You use it if you dont have the cyclone auger. It fits on the end of the metal auger keeping it centered in the auger throat, then tighten the ring down.

STLstyle

Thanks.  The cyclone setup came with the grinder.  I'll give it a shot.  We'll see if this thing is a multi tasker!

NePaSmoker, do you use this setup or do you prefer a stand alone stuffer? 
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: STLstyle on December 04, 2012, 01:01:57 PM
Thanks.  The cyclone setup came with the grinder.  I'll give it a shot.  We'll see if this thing is a multi tasker!

NePaSmoker, do you use this setup or do you prefer a stand alone stuffer?

I use a LEM 5 lb vertical and a water stuffer.

Tenpoint5

5lb Grizzly vertical and a water stuffer
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Kevin A

I used to use my Cabela grinder fro stuffing as well as grinding.
It CAN and WILL work, but it's truly a pain.
A dedicated stuffer is soooooooooo much easier & makes the entire process more enjoyable.
Like the two previous posters before me (10.5 & Nepas), I use both a 5lb vertical stuffer or the much larger water-cannon stuffer.
Both are so much more efficient compared to stuffing with the cabela's grinder.

Stuffing chorizo via a grinder....... :-\

mez

Do you use the auger for all stuffing? I thought it was just for small sticks but it probably would work for all .