• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Turkey Sausage w/ Cranberries (Updated... with pics on page 2)

Started by Neocrunch, December 08, 2012, 06:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neocrunch

Howdy folks... I've been wanting to make some fresh sausages made from turkey with cranberries in it.  I came across this recipe and I've got a couple of questions:   http://imgur.com/a/PLNes

1) Rather than get a turkey and debone/grind it myself, can I just pick up a package of pre-ground turkey at the supermarket?  I know it might not be ideal since it's only white meat, but will it work.  The pkg I have in my freezer is 85% lean. 

2) I'd really like to smoke the sausage if possible (with maple).  Would that require me to alter the recipe (with instacure)?  It's cold outside so I should be able to cold smoke them.

3) I notice this recipe doesn't use a binder of any kind.  Would you recommend I use one?  If so, I'll need to order it quickly to get the sausage made in time for Christmas.

4) Anyone got a better recipe for the type of sausage I'm trying to make?  I'm a little lost.   ???

As always, thanks for the help!  I've been having a blast with this sausage stuffer.   ;D

Thought sausage smokin' in the shed. Tickle in the kitchen just losin' that head.

Habanero Smoker

This is almost the same recipe that is called Turkey Sausage with Dried Tart Cherries, that is listed in Charcuterie, by Ruhlman, with the addition of rosemary and the ginger omitted. Also he doesn't use the gizzard or heart, but it looks like a good added touch. I have made this many times with the dried tart cherries and it is a big hit. I've never tried the craisins or cranberries. Just don't use dried sweet cherries, that doesn't work well.

I've never used a binder for this, just beat it until it is really sticky. If you decide to use the dried tart cherries, I would omit the rosemary, and add 1/2 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger.

If you want to smoke them in the Bradley add 1 teaspoon of cure #1. Maple is a good choice, but if you have apple that would be better. I have smoked this sausage, but prefer it fresh. So I generally will pouch them until they reach an 160°F, vacuum seal and used them as brown and serve sausage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Keymaster

That picture is a keeper. No help with Turkey sausage but enjoyed the pic ;D

Neocrunch

Thank you, Habanero. 

Keymaster, that picture belongs in a LEM catalog, doesn't it!  My sister and her boyfriend got a kick out of my kitchen toys and smoker. 
Thought sausage smokin' in the shed. Tickle in the kitchen just losin' that head.

Keymaster

Quote from: Neocrunch on December 08, 2012, 03:17:49 PM
Thank you, Habanero. 

Keymaster, that picture belongs in a LEM catalog, doesn't it!  My sister and her boyfriend got a kick out of my kitchen toys and smoker.
It is a Awesome picture! Myself, I would email it to Lem but thats just me ;D Thanks for sharing!!

Habanero Smoker

I got so caught up in the two recipes being almost identical, I forgot to answer your other question.

The other difference in the two recipes is that Ruhlman only uses dark meat. I have used all white meat in poultry sausage before and didn't like the outcome. The texture was too dry, but then I didn't use a binder, which may have retained some moisture. I don't like packaged ground turkey. I often feel that they add water to it.

For that recipe the average amount for either soy protein concentrate or non fat dried milk would be 2.5 oz or about 1/2 cup. Adding  heart and gizzard meat and reducing the white meat by the same amount will improve the taste. You could process that small amount in your food processor. The food processor will give the darker meat a larger "grind" but I think the contrast in textures would work well.

If the store sell turkey thighs, the butcher may grind the meat for you.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Neocrunch

Thanks for the tips.  I went to the local butcher and picked up 6 lbs of fresh ground turkey, 3 lbs of pork fat, and a pound of chicken hearts & gizzards.  I've got some leftover rabbit lungs & hearts to toss in, too.   :o

I'll have to freeze the pork fat and mince it by hand.  I'll also substitute TenderQuick for Cure #1 since I can't seem to find the latter anywhere in town.  I'm still trying to decide whether or not to smoke them to 160 or water bath them to 160.  I'll probably smoke 'em. 

STLstyle

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Neocrunch on December 13, 2012, 12:28:33 PM
Thanks for the tips.  I went to the local butcher and picked up 6 lbs of fresh ground turkey, 3 lbs of pork fat, and a pound of chicken hearts & gizzards.  I've got some leftover rabbit lungs & hearts to toss in, too.   :o

I'll have to freeze the pork fat and mince it by hand.  I'll also substitute TenderQuick for Cure #1 since I can't seem to find the latter anywhere in town.  I'm still trying to decide whether or not to smoke them to 160 or water bath them to 160.  I'll probably smoke 'em.

I've never tasted rabbit lungs or hearts, so adding them I'm not sure how far you will be straying from the original recipe, and if that will have any effect on the final taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Neocrunch

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 14, 2012, 02:31:56 AM
Quote from: Neocrunch on December 13, 2012, 12:28:33 PM

I've never tasted rabbit lungs or hearts, so adding them I'm not sure how far you will be straying from the original recipe, and if that will have any effect on the final taste.

Making this tomorrow.  Any suggestions for smoking temps & time?  Also, I've got TQ instead of Cure #1.  That's not a problem, I hope.   :-\

JZ

TQ is NOT the same as cure #1 and must be measured in different amounts. Cure #1 contains 6.25% sodium nitrite and TQ has a much lower concentration and as such more TQ is required per lb of sausage. Make sure you follow the directions on the TQ package for the correct amount to use. Also TQ has a lot of salt and sugar already in the mix. Most people recommend not adding any salt called for in the recipe if you use TQ and you should probably not add any sugar either. Then after mixing the meat, spices and TQ fry up a little piece of the mixture to see if you like the taste or need to add more salt or sugar. Do this before stuffing so you can make sure the taste is what you are after. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

pmmpete

Tenderquick contains .5% sodium nitrite and .5% sodium nitrate, so in order to get the amount of sodium nitrite which is specified in your recipe, you'd need to use 12.5 times as much Tenderquick as the amount of Cure #1 specified in your recipe.  And you'd end up with an equal amount of sodium nitrate in your sausages, which you probably don't want.  And you'd end up with extra sugar as well.

Neocrunch

That's what I was afraid of.  Thanks for the quick responses.  I'll call the butcher tomorrow morning to see if I can get some cure #1.  I can't find it anywhere else (Walmart, Rural King, Target).  Given that I'm trying to get this made before Sunday I might have to just settle for a waterbath this time.   :(

Habanero Smoker

I have used Morton Tender Quick in sausage in the past, and you only use 1/2 tablespoon per pound; that is the recommendation of Morton. In their "Home Meat Curing Guide"; published after 2003 their sausage recipes call for 1/2 tablespoon per pound. If you use it at a rate 12.5 times as much as cure #1 you will ruin your sausage, and it will taste like a salt lick. You will also have high levels of residual nitrates and nitrites.

It should be noted; depending on the temperature and the existence of beneficial bacteria some of the nitrates will begin to convert to nitrites as soon as they are blended into the meat and during the drying time. The rate is unpredictable in a home environment.

I forgot to answer your other question. This is how I smoke sausage others may do it differently:

110-120°F, dry sausage with vent open. Don't over dry them; it generally takes about an hour.
130-140°F; start applying smoke. I use about 2 hours, sometimes 3. I also may adjust my vent at this time.
170°F; after applying smoke increase the cabinet temperature and cook to your desired temperature. If needed you can bump the temperature up to 180°F, and monitor more closely.

I have made this sausage several times using the original recipe. I have both smoked and cooked it fresh. Hands down the fresh cooked sausage has a much better flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

KyNola

Morton's TenderQuick has been around for many many years and is absolutely safe to use in sausage and all other applications when used as directed.  I have personally used it many times.  I have a bag right now. To have someone to attempt to dissuade you from using MTQ is simply wrong.