• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Does Jerky freeze well

Started by GusRobin, December 09, 2012, 08:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Never had to worry about it because it was always eaten quickly. This time I had to make it early for Christmas festivities. It is made from sliced beef. Will it freeze well or should I just refrigerate for the next 2 1/2 weeks? (Used cure 1 in the marinade)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

FLBentRider

I've never frozen it, but I found a bag in the back of the garage fridge that had to have been there longer than "two weeks" and it seems fine.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

josbocc

Gus,

If my "consumers" don't intend on eating their jerky within a couple of weeks, I always suggest freezing, and I've never had an issue.  I do almost all Ground Beef, but I can't see where whole muscle would be any different.  I actually can eat the GB variety right out of the freezer.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

OU812

I freeze jerky all the time in vac sealed bags

Just make sure theres no pointy edges that can pierce the bag

Keymaster

I freeze it all the time too. Since most the moisture is out of the jerky it really does not expand and contract much when it freezes. I would definately use foodsaver bags and get all the air out.

smoker pete

Quote from: OU812 on December 09, 2012, 09:53:41 AM

Just make sure there's no pointy edges that can pierce the bag

What OU812 said  :D

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

SamuelG

All the time! Never had a problem
SamuelG

Consooger

Quote from: smoker pete on December 09, 2012, 11:10:25 AM
Quote from: OU812 on December 09, 2012, 09:53:41 AM

Just make sure there's no pointy edges that can pierce the bag

What OU812 said  :D

x3
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

pikeman_95

GB jerky needs to be properly dehydrated and then it freezes for ever. If it has too much moisture in it when you freeze it the moisture will expand and break it up. It will have the texture of sawdust. When you get my age you have just about tried every thing to screw up that there is. I put some in the freezer that was not dry enough and this was the result. This is why I say it should bend but not break. It should be a good stiff bend though.
Kirby

GusRobin

it is sliced muscle, not GB  if that makes a difference.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Consooger

You should be fine Gus if you vac seal it and freeze. I have even vac sealed mine and put mine in the bottom drawer of my beer fridge and have eaten it 2-3 weeks later with no issues. The upside/downside of putting it in the fridge it is easily accessable for someone to get their hands on it and eat away instead of giving it to someone. Don't ask me how I know this.......  :-X :-\
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife