• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First Deer Sausage Run - 10bs Jalo / Chedder

Started by STLstyle, December 09, 2012, 08:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STLstyle

First off thanks to Sailor for the recipe (recipe site), and to 10.5 for the sausage rack idea!
I used my Cabelas Grinder to Stuff these.  It fairly well.  I had to do it by myself.  The foot pedal attachment was key.

I just started the dry off stage:

More pics to come...
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

Tenpoint5

Nice start you will really like the sausage hanger when you go out and give it a 1/4 turn every hour. Open Spin Close its that fast!! While your just getting started I would suggest tying your strings shorter to raise your sausage higher up and away from the heating element. So it doesn't over heat and fat out the bottom of the sausage.

Might help if you turn the smoker on too!! ;D ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

STLstyle

If you look close I broke one of my hooks off like you before I realized what I was doing.   :(.

Any recommedations on temp schedule?

I'm at 130 for an hour to dry
then crank to 150 for first hour of smoke
160-170 for the remainder???

Thoughts?  I have 8-10 hours to kill.
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: STLstyle on December 09, 2012, 09:09:08 AM
If you look close I broke one of my hooks off like you before I realized what I was doing.   :(.

Any recommedations on temp schedule?

I'm at 130 for an hour to dry
then crank to 150 for first hour of smoke
160-170 for the remainder???

Thoughts?  I have 8-10 hours to kill.

175 If you need to get the IT. Try not to exceed 180 if you can

STLstyle

Almost 4 hours in.  Running 155 in the cabinet and sausage is at 115.  Gotta feeling this is gonna take a while...

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod

STLstyle

10 hours in and the sausage is only at 137 degrees.  I'm now running at 175 degrees in the box.  I did not plan for this long of a process.  For 10lbs is this typical?  I was thinking 8-10 hours and I'd be done.  After the sausage IS done (153-155), what steps do I need to do?

Water bath?
bloom?

Can I store in fridge until tomorrow or do I need to vac seal right away?

Thanks in advance for the help!
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod

Tenpoint5

Yep water bath then bloom will be fine in the fridge over night

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

STLstyle

Alright!

13 hours and here we are 152-153 degrees I pulled them.

Into a ice water bath for 5 minutes:

My buddy Leroy is ready for a taste!

Bloom pic:

Money shot to come...
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod

STLstyle

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod

Consooger

very nice go around for your first run. I'm itching to start this whole process but the wife "needs me to do this, and go there, christmas this, tree that, sigh, gotta love it"
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

mikecorn.1

Man, that looks good! Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

STLstyle

Thanks guys.  I think next time I'll add the cheese right before I stuff.  It kind of lost its consistency on the overnight wait.  Don't know if it would make a difference, but only one way to find out!
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod

Tenpoint5

That looks great!! Well done for a first shot out of the gate. As the chubs cool over night in the fridge the cheese should come back close to its original consistency. If you used regular cheese and back to normal if you used High temp cheese

Robert Rose

Yeah, I was gonna say "Thought you said Jal/Cheese, Where's the cheese" Looks good though. Wish I had some.
Robert Rose
Director Region 3
Texas Association of Bass Clubs
CoCoRaHS Volunteer TX-ER-4

NePaSmoKer