• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Summer Sausage

Started by lnmnmarty, December 09, 2012, 02:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lnmnmarty

Howdy All. Been reading posts here for quite some time. Thought I would share some of what I've learned. Bear with me, my computer skills aren't so good. Using one of Rytek's recipes.

Meat reground and cured

Ready to stuff

Stuffed

Drying

smoked and done

And finally......

Hope you enjoy. Sorry if the pics are too big. Will try and learn how to resize.

STLstyle

Dang.  That looks real nice.  Nice job!
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

Keymaster

Welcome aboard, Summer sausage looks good and real nice smoker!!

SamuelG

Those are great. Nice equipment too.
SamuelG

drunknimortal

How do you like that stuffer? Im looking for a new one. The sausage looks good, wish the internet was scratch and sniff compatible.

mikecorn.1

SS looks good! Pics are perfect on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

watchdog56

lnmnmarty

Quote from: drunknimortal on December 10, 2012, 04:16:35 AM
How do you like that stuffer? Im looking for a new one. The sausage looks good, wish the internet was scratch and sniff compatible.

The stuffer is very well built, all stainless, and well priced. Had to modify it to accept the Cabelas motor. With the modifications it costs around the same as the Cabelas, but is better built.

lnmnmarty

Can anybody explain why my sausages got so wrinkled? I really don't mind, but it seems most of the other ones I've seen on here look more like the store bought ones. I used collagen casings. I have a PID controller and brought the temps up real slow. In fact this was at least a 12 hour smoke. Went to about 150 and tossed in cold water.

My smoker is a proofer and the fan runs constantly. Makes for great heat distribution, but may be the reason for the drying out of the outside of the sausage. I stuffed them very tight and as you can see there was no fat out. Just guessing here. Anybody have an opinion on this, I'd like to hear it. Again, I'm not that concerned, just wondering what others are doing differently. Thanks

hotspur76

Sometime I've seen that type of shrikages because of the use of collagen casings, or dependant on how much fat is in your mix....but thats only my observation I've seen, but those are still awesome looking sausage!!!

NePaSmoKer

Because you open the door to your proofer/smoker, the cool air gets in and cools the casings thus making for the wrinkles.

pikeman_95

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 28, 2012, 07:39:47 PM
Because you open the door to your proofer/smoker, the cool air gets in and cools the casings thus making for the wrinkles.

That's a new one on me. Is that kinda like guys swimming in cold water? ??? (shrinkage)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pikeman_95 on December 28, 2012, 08:41:21 PM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 28, 2012, 07:39:47 PM

That's a new one on me. Is that kinda like guys swimming in cold water? ??? (shrinkage)

TMI
:o