• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

PID setting for the smoker tower

Started by Alex_H, December 09, 2012, 03:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex_H

Hello

I have an Bradley smoker (the one with the automatic smoker) i recently start using my Auberins PID (WSD-1203CPH the one with with dual probes, controls both the heater and the smoker)

My issue is that the smoker is only used at certain steps, i tried looking on the Auberins site but their instruction are not that clear

Anyone can point me in the right direction to program the PID to fully smoke at every step ? (i have a turkey waiting to be smoked)

regards

Keymaster

Gus robin to the rescue, why cant this be a sticky in other equipment I wonder.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=30176.0

Alex_H

thank you sire

That link is my bookmarks :)

GusRobin

The dual PID only lets you smoke in 2 cycles. Usually that should be enough. Why would you set the PID for more than one step when cooking the turkey?
If i was doing a turkey, I cook at 225*. So I would set it as follows:
Cycle 1 @ 225* for 10 hours. (don't need that long but I always set my last cycle for a long period of time.)
I would set r1=1 
All other cycles would be set to "0"

With the above setting it would cook at 225 and the smoke generator would be on the whole time. (how long you actually smoke would depend on how many pucks you put in the chute)

If I wanted to apply smoke for 2 hrs and then cook without smoke, I would set as follows
Cycle 1 @225*  for 2 hrs; r1 =1. Then I would set cycle 2 at 225* for 8 hrs. All other cycles would be "0"

This would give me 2 hrs of smoke and then turn off the smoke generator, and then 8 hrs ( or until I determined it was done) of cook time.
Note: in the above situation you would have to manually advance the pucks until the first one gets on the burner otherwise you would only get 1 hr of smoke before the SG was turned off. This is because if you just put the pucks in the stack and turn the SG on, it takes 1 hr (20 min per puck) for the first puck to get on the burner. If you don't want to manually advance then set the first cycle for an extra hr.)

Hope this helps.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Alex_H

So my settings are fine i just didn't knew the smoke goes on ONLY for two steps (in my books that's a bug)

I had a four steps salmon and i wanted smoke for all the steps but now that i know that only 2 steps can be smokeble i will adjust my settings accordingly

Speaking of Turkeys, never did a whole bird in the smoker, i'm new to the smoking miracle and i'm the lone wolf in my circle using it

at what IT temperature should i stop the process ? (160-165 ?)

Any good receipe for the brine :D ?

mikecorn.1

I go 225f min on yard birds.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

Alex_H

GusRobin

Quote from: Alex_H on December 09, 2012, 06:32:12 PM
So my settings are fine i just didn't knew the smoke goes on ONLY for two steps (in my books that's a bug)

I had a four steps salmon and i wanted smoke for all the steps but now that i know that only 2 steps can be smokeble i will adjust my settings accordingly

You can always plug the SG into an outlet instead of PID when you want to use it more than 2 cycles.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

GusRobin

Quote from: Alex_H on December 09, 2012, 06:32:12 PM

Speaking of Turkeys, never did a whole bird in the smoker, i'm new to the smoking miracle and i'm the lone wolf in my circle using it

at what IT temperature should i stop the process ? (160-165 ?)

Any good receipe for the brine :D ?
Here is a link to a number of good recipes and "how to"s

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes