• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoker Puck question?

Started by Seahawk, December 10, 2012, 04:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seahawk

Hi everyone.  I was wondering why my pucks only smoke on one half of the puck on the burner side?

viper125

Because only the bottom is hot? They will burn just give them time. Also keep them away from moisture.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Seahawk on December 10, 2012, 04:04:38 PM
Hi everyone.  I was wondering why my pucks only smoke on one half of the puck on the burner side?

Can you clarify your question, because it can be interpreted in a few ways? Are you saying that your bisquettes are only burning on the bottom, and the top remain much as it was prior to burning, before being dumped into the water bowl?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Keymaster

My last smoke the pucks did the same thing but it was because I had a Heated cat mat plugged into the same circuit outside. I even knew better but did not think the Mat drew that many Amps but it did. This could be one reason your pucks are not burning properly but they also don't completely turn to ash when they are burning properly, they still remain solid a bit.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Seahawk on December 10, 2012, 04:04:38 PM
Pics are also good so we can see the issue.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

mow_delon

Can also have to do with the type of pucks being used.  I have a box of Jim Beam pucks that never completely turn black on top.  Don't think it has to do with moisture in my case, just the hardness of the wood used in the Jim Beam pucks.  Bradley Oak pucks also will not usually turn black, but all others always do.  Just a thought.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: mow_delon on December 13, 2012, 06:56:11 AM
Can also have to do with the type of pucks being used.  I have a box of Jim Beam pucks that never completely turn black on top.  Don't think it has to do with moisture in my case, just the hardness of the wood used in the Jim Beam pucks.  Bradley Oak pucks also will not usually turn black, but all others always do.  Just a thought.

I have found the same when using Jim Beam. Also when setting up the smoker using the cold smoke setup the bisquettes often do not burn completely.

Another thought is a burner plate that has carbon built up on it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

frepar

Ill see that on my first puck.... you see them being half burned the whole smoke through?  Or just the first couple?

I usually will fire up the SG with one puck on the tray... let it run through a 40 min cycle (two advances) and by the time the puck reaches the end of the tray.... that thing should be hot enough to burn that first one through

mikecorn.1

Quote from: frepar on December 14, 2012, 03:35:15 PM
Ill see that on my first puck.... you see them being half burned the whole smoke through?  Or just the first couple?

I usually will fire up the SG with one puck on the tray... let it run through a 40 min cycle (two advances) and by the time the puck reaches the end of the tray.... that thing should be hot enough to burn that first one through
Ding, ding, ding, ding!!! DITTO.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

viper125

Last few times I advance pucks till one or two from the plate then in either 20 or 40 minutes they start good.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

TedEbear

My dual element OBS takes around 8 minutes to preheat to 220*F.  I turn it on and manually advance the pucks twice until they're one away from the hotplate.  Then, when the first 20 minutes has passed and they advance on their own onto the plate, everything is already nice and hot.