• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Digital smoke generator quit

Started by Silvergrizz, December 12, 2012, 07:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvergrizz

I am 1 hour and a few minutes into a 3 hour cold smoke of Atlantic Salmon. Temp started out at 30F and rose as high as 58F, but then started to drop after 1 hour. It was still smoking, so I figured it was OK. After another 45 minutes smoke had stopped, temp had dropped to 40F and when I checked the smoke generator, the last puck was unburnt in the bowl. I just turned it off and back on and it started to generate hear again. Any idea what is going on there?  :-\

KyNola

1. Loose connection in the smoke generator?
2. Smoking time improperly set?

First two things that come to mind.  Did the unit still have power when it stopped smoking?

Silvergrizz

Quote from: KyNola on December 12, 2012, 07:20:18 AM
1. Loose connection in the smoke generator?
2. Smoking time improperly set?

First two things that come to mind.  Did the unit still have power when it stopped smoking?
The unit still had power when it stopped. I thought it had started, but the element did not get hot enough to burn the puck, just my fingers. Guess I am going to have to pop the bottom off and check the connections.

Thanks
Grizz

Silvergrizz

Took the smoke generator apart, all connection are tight. The unit is only a month old, so I don't suspect corrosion to be an issue.

Silvergrizz

Update, unit is now generating smoke again. Must have a been a loose wire someplace, although it was not obvious. Salmon still in the smoker, temp had dropped to 29, so I am going to lay on another hour of smoke and call her done. Pictures to follow on a new thread once completed.

devo

I like it when a problem just goes away. Glad your back to smoking and not rebuilding.

Silvergrizz

Quote from: devo on December 12, 2012, 08:36:55 AM
I like it when a problem just goes away. Glad your back to smoking and not rebuilding.

Me too, as long as it doesn't happen more than once.