• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Tangy Pork Roll Time Again! Many photos...beware!

Started by Kevin A, December 15, 2012, 07:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin A

December is a crazy month for me at the church office, so between work and other obligations around the home (the Christmas Honey-Do list), I've had little or no time to make meats of the tubular variety.

But I had a chance this weekend to do some grinding & stuffing, so I asked the troops in my household what they'd like me to make as Christmas is approaching fast. The popular choice was having me make PORK ROLL — aka "Taylor's Ham." Many of you know what I'm talking about here. If you're not familiar with this tangy & porky delight, do a quick internet search & you'll discover all you need to know about the tasty stuff. It's big back east (my wife's family is from New Jersey), and around Christmas, it was a popular treat for her family. My boys & I have enjoyed it as well—even though we're native Californ-yuns. It was a big hit the last time I made it (waaaay back in July of 2011).

So enough of the blather...on to the fun stuff!

Start with three pounds of nearly-frozen hickory-smoked bacon...

Also needed is about 7 pounds of fresh pork shoulder, cut up & iced for the grinder...

Start by grinding the bacon. I'm using a 4.5mm plate for the initial grind...

Next up is the pork shoulder grind. Same plate size...

SPICES lined up. I upped the amount of salt and the ECA I used last time. The pork roll last time just needed a bit more of the saltiness & tang...

I added the dry ingredients to the meat, with the exception of the ECA
—which shall be added just prior to stuffing. Before mixing, I add the port...

My Custom Mixers are primed and ready to go. ;)  Thickly-insulated gloves make this job easy without the pain of frost-bite...

After 10-12 minutes of robust mixing, the meat has developed into a nice, sticky paste...

Before stuffing, however, I want a finer texture and so I run the meat paste through the grinder using a fine plate (3.0mm). This hopefully will ensure a very uniform texture in the final product...

Comparing the before & after of the single grind (4.5mm) and the meat following a second fine (3mm) grind...

One last addition & mix— the ECA is added now and I'll gently incorporate this thoroughly into the meat paste. A quick test-fry of the mix got thumbs up from the lucky tasters...

While all this mixing & grinding was going on, I had three fibrous casing soaking in warm water. In the past I've used muslin or cotton bags for pork roll, but since I was without, I opted to use these 3x20" fibrous from Butcher & Packer...

My son helped with my little 5lb Grizzly stuffer & in no time we had 3 good-sized chubs hog-ringed & ready to go the fridge...

Since I'm booked all day tomorrow, it looks like these chubs will have to wait a day or so before they hit the smoker & poacher.

More to come...

Kevin

mrmcdowe

Nice post. I always find the second grind a pain.  Now looking at your final consistency comparison I will do it for certain things :)

Sam3

STLstyle

Bacon and Pork, sounds great.  Get that smoker preheated!
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

mikecorn.1

Looking good! I always enjoy looking at your threads.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

BAM1

I made this back around Easter 2010 after I saw the recipe in the forum.  Thanks for reminding me it's time to make more.  Your mix looks great. 
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

Sailor

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

OU812

GusRobin

Looks great -- care to post the details as to qty of spices?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Kevin A

Got the pork roll chubs in the smoker early this afternoon—as well as 5-pounds of meat sticks I made in the morning.
I keep an eye on the temps throughout the day. I anticipate this could be a fairly long smoke. Outside temp is 40°F, cools & damp.

I'm using the 'Pitmaster's Blend' pellets for smoke-generation.

One hour in...

mybad

Looks great, Kevin your a dam good photographer!

Tenpoint5

As always some nice looking clubs you have Kevin!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

JZ

Those look great Kevin, as always and the pics are good too. :)