Well, I went and did it!

Started by PapaC, December 17, 2012, 05:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PapaC

Cabelas has all their meat grinders on sale right now, and I been wantin one to get into sausage so I ordered the pro model. The commercial grade grinders were a little out of my budget right now. I ordered the Hi Mountain pepperoni kit just to get my feet wet and the  Kutas recipe book to go from there. Can't wait to get started. I'm sure a sausage press will be in my near future as well. Stay tuned,

Carl
I'm just a social smoker, I can quit any time I want.

Keymaster

Your going to have fun with that grinder carl. I never do over 10 pounds of meat and my little cabelas grinder does a good job. Congratulations!

Sam3

Congrats on your new addiction...eeerr....Hobby!

I got the LEM #22 grinder and the 11lb vertical stuffer last year for Christmas. And I haven't stopped since!   ;D

Salmonsmoker

You're right about a stuffer in the near future Carl. Grinders don't make very good stuffers. :)
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

STLstyle

I used my cabelas grinder last weekend for my first sausage attempt.  It worked. Not sure how much harder it was because I didn't have anything to compare it to!  If Santa brings me a stuffer I definitely let you know :)
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

JZ

Way to go Carl and I am sure you are going to enjoy your new hobby. Just tell your wife to put her Honeydo list in a drawer (or better yet ...... the garbage) cause you're gonna be busy for a while making sausages. ;D

PapaC

Quote from: JZ on December 17, 2012, 09:18:46 AM
Way to go Carl and I am sure you are going to enjoy your new hobby. Just tell your wife to put her Honeydo list in a drawer (or better yet ...... the garbage) cause you're gonna be busy for a while making sausages. ;D

^^
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are! Thanks guys, it's good to know you'll all be here foir me when I have the inevitable questions.

hybridcx

im with ya, I have been saving my cabelas points for a grinder to get into the sausage game. seen they went on sale and pulled the trigger on there 1/2 hp. cannot wait to give it a go.

Sailor

Quote from: PapaC on December 17, 2012, 05:59:09 AM
Cabelas has all their meat grinders on sale right now, and I been wantin one to get into sausage so I ordered the pro model. The commercial grade grinders were a little out of my budget right now. I ordered the Hi Mountain pepperoni kit just to get my feet wet and the  Kutas recipe book to go from there. Can't wait to get started. I'm sure a sausage press will be in my near future as well. Stay tuned,

Carl
It is not too late to stop!  Once you start making sausage you can't stop.  It is an addiction that can never be satisfied.  You will dream about when that next order of casing will arrive.  You will start to sweat and get the shakes anticipating when NEPAS will post another of his secret recipes.  Oh sure you say you can stop anytime that you want too.  We have heard it so many times in the past.  First you get a grinder then order some premixed kits and you think you are in total control.  Soon we will be hearing that you ordered a stuffer, then you ordered some sausage hangers.  Next it will be that you put in a special order for some fancy sausage spices like ECA, formento, powdered dextrose, corn syrup solids and special casings.  Then you find that the little 5 pound stuff is for kids and you go whole hog and get a Kirby Cannon.  Yes, you say you will only be making small 5lb loads and hand mixing.  Then we will of course learn that you had to order the Kirby mixer cause you are now doing 10 and 20 pound batches.  Then it really starts to escalate.  The Bradley can no longer hold what you are mixing and smoking and you start to build a bigger smoker or do a conversion of an old fridge or a proofer. 

Yes, we have seen it happen to many a good man and we have watched many a man do and say things to their spouse in order to just be able to purchase that one special tool that you need and that will be the last tool that you will ever need.  So many have walked this road.  Stop before it is too late!  Once you mix and smoke that first batch you will forever be hooked.   ;D

Good luck with your new addiction!  If ya gots any questions we is here to help  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

josbocc

PapaC,

Could not be said any better than Sailor said it.  It's a heck of a lot of fun, until the day that you realize your wife has been gone for over two weeks.  Seriously, congrats on getting started.  A stuffer is a must.  I use mine for everything from snak stix, to summer sausage, and even for Ground Beef Jerky.  The LEM 5 lb. is affordable, and has worked well for me so far.

Best of luck!!!

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

PapaC

Yup, I been watchin youtube videos and figured I would be gettin the 5lb stuffer as soon as my allowance gets built back up. Any recommendations on where to buy casings? Locally, or on line best? And where are all the "Secret" recipes?  8)

josbocc

Papa C,

You can get casings just about anywhere.  Collagen casings available at Gander Mt., and natural casings can be purchased at most major supermarkets, or meat markets.  They are all also available on-line.  I get a lot of mine from LEM products.  They sell all kind of kits for different types of sausages.  The kits come with casings, and all necessary spices and cures.  They're kind of fool-proof (which works real well for me  :D ).  Take a look at their site lemproducts.com.

The "secret recipes" can be found all over this forum, or you can try susanminor.org.  If you can't find what your looking for, just post a question here.  This is the most unselfish group of people I think I've ever met.  If they don't have the answer to your question, I firmly believe that they make it their personal mission in life to find out the answer for you.  They are great, and always willing to help.  You've heard it before, but I will reiterate it, "There are no stupid questions." 

Again, Good Luck, and we like stories, and most of all..., we like pictures!

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!