Absolutely Cruel

Started by IKnowWood, April 17, 2006, 07:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IKnowWood

Absolutely Cruel

To go thru life, enjoying some good BBQ and thinking of the next time we can get some good ribs and smoke them up and we all will enjoy.  The entire meal, corn, fries, and ribs are part of this memory and part of what we think of as norm.

Well, cruelty is these memories are changed, squashed and wiped clear.   

About 7 years or so ago I tried to cook some ribs, Baby Backs.  I had them at a BBQ restaurant for some Famous guy, they were nice and had a great flavor.  I started to obsess, and when I went other places and towns, we would try a restaurant and form time to time I would try the ribs.  I focused my search to try ribs at BBQ joints mostly. Went back to some places and retried good ones.  All stood close to Dave's but none quite as good.

I decided to do them on my own.  I had a silver bullet propane smoker.  They were OK but not great.  I eventually found a trick with my older Weber, indirect smoking / grilling with a pan loaded with wet chips.  It worked.   I was able to get results similar to Dave's and maybe about as good.

Along came Bradley and Smoke and Spice.  Yes, this opens things up.  I tried a few recipes in there and they were OK, different but we kept going back thinking about how I did it in the Weber.  So we went back and tried the rub and sauce like we used to. 

But a new twist.  Winning Iceman's Recipe post contest came along with some great tools and it also included Goose Bay Company rib Rub and Sauce with Attitude.

The Cruelty I speak of is our stand by good tasting ribs was knocked down.  Smoking in the Bradley with our rub did not work good, the rub was to thick.  But Oh my goodness, Goose Bay Company rub was amazing.  Lightly dusted, it spread perfect and gave a nice shine and very pleasing look and texture.

And once it was done, the basted sauce left a perfect sheen and oh my, it was perfect.  Perfect heat, taste, and texture across the entire rib, they were juicy and amazing.  This is a great sauce.

Now to make the cruelty even more-so is Smoked Corn on the Cob.  Oh my goodness that was a topper that was amazing.  We used cold smoked bacon (smoked with Mesquite)  and wrapped the soaked cob and tied the husk on.  Smoked for exactly 1 hour 15 minutes.  And they were the best.

Cruel as it took so long to get to this.  I hope all of you experience this Cruel awakening of senses and tastes. 
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Gordo

The bacon was outside the husk or inside?

I rarely do ribs in the Bradley because I am a glutton when it comes to ribs, I will eat until I am sorry...and then my blood pressure suffers for a week...but these sound great.  I had some ribs at a restaraunt called Dave's in Nebraska - same place?
Gordo
Unskyled laber

zhongyi

Do you have a link for the Goose Bay Company?  Soounds worth trying.

iceman

Thanks for the pat on the back IKnowWood. Makes me smile when someone enjoys things that I made. Waynes BBQ joint in Anchorage said I just won the blind tasting they put on Saurday. I think my head is swelling up. :D ::) ;)

icerat4

Congrate ice nice job.THE Bacon is wrapped in the husk just a fyi for gordo.I am doing that this weekend also. ;D

Kummok

Quote from: iceman on April 17, 2006, 10:50:10 AM
Thanks for the pat on the back IKnowWood. Makes me smile when someone enjoys things that I made. Waynes BBQ joint in Anchorage said I just won the blind tasting they put on Saurday. I think my head is swelling up. :D ::) ;)

Congrats on another "Taste Sensation Victory", Ice!! You're making a "Costco Run" to Anchorage even MORE compelling....I've seen Waynes BBQ (on C Street I believe?!?), but usually keep heading south to the Lone Star.....sounds like I'd better stop short and visit Waynes on the next trip to the feed trough!!

BTW....6" of new snow this morning, but sun is now shining and melting it fast!! Sure makes the Bay, mountains, and glaciers an awesome sight, but I've had enough....especially since ptarmigan season is closed!!

iceman

Kummok;
I'd stick with the LoneStar if it was me. Waynes just changed owners and tries for the masses like herding cattle. They sold most of the mobile units and pretty much crank out the ribs after a very light smoke. Some of the last batch I tried there tasted like pitch fron a pine tree. Yukko. The brisket was very bitter too. Any joint that has to resort to things like "Talent Night" to keep the doors open doesn't say a whole bunch for the food IMO. Maybe they'll get better at it down the road but for now I'd say LoneStar or my house.
;)
Let me know if your going to make it to Anchoarge and I'll meet you at Costco if it's during the week. No new snow up here but we had some sleet today mixed with high winds. I lost a couple more birch trees so it looks like it's chain saw time before they put the burning ban out for the spring season. Hopefully work will slow down enough for me to finish fixing the travel trailer up so I can get down to see you. Where's the nearest rv lot close to your place? I think the boat harbor will be to crowded by the time I make it down there.

IKnowWood

Gordo, as icerat indicated, Bacon was wraped around the silk removed corn (yellow is best) and the husk is pulled back over and tied.   I used some cold smoked Bacon to add more flavor.  The recipe had salt and pepper also, but I just used the bacon (don't want to much salt).  For some big ones, I used 2 strips but one was good enough for most. Also my previous fav BBQ joint was Famous Dave's

zhongyi:  Goose Bay Company is iceman's creation.  One talented person making some real good eats.

iceman:  Congrats, see, more people falling for some great tastes.  
IKnowWood

Oldman

QuoteWinning Iceman's Recipe post contest came along with some great tools and it also included Goose Bay Company rib Rub and Sauce with Attitude.
This is why after tasting the sauce later this month we are taking a "care" package to a major corp office of a large food chain here.... they are customers of mine   ;D It is some of the best tasting sauce I've had in a very long time....

Iceman I would have already gotten that over to them, but this Raytheon deal for the time being is owning my life.  Everytime I think I going to drive over a couple of counties to them a new item comes up. Today we bail out the facility manager on their "clean" room. An item that is not part of my contract. However, until procurement awards the hard floors we are filling end....  We don't do hard floors... Ya right...*cough*

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

BOUTCH

Iceman!
Can you giving other time your recipe for baby backs ribs
i would like trying this week-end
and also with bisquette you smoke them.

MallardWacker

The price of ribs just went up do to this thread alone....The ribs will be cooking but that corn is causing me to have a Pavlov experience now in front of my computer screen.   Man where has my head been (don't go there) BACON and Smoked CORN...."That was hit real hard I don't think it is playable".  Freak'n WOW!  Can you emagine bringing a bunch of those over to someones home...you could be famous for a brief period of time.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

IKnowWood

Mike,  The corn is BIG WOW!!!

We were skeptical but we love some good yellow corn.  Normally grilled.  We stopped at Whole Foods and got Bi-Color (season in north east US not ready yet) corn.  Used some cold-smoked thick cut bacon.  Soaked the corn for 2 hours in water.  Then wrap, Tie, Smoke. 

When we were eating, the wife tried the corn first.  Stone cold look on her face, when I asked how are they.  She responded "I will let you taste it first".  Once I bit into it, she exclaimed, "I just could not say WOW this is amazing" befoe you tried it.  And it was increadibly good.  The somke taste was there, the bacon flavor was there, and the corn flavor POPPED in there to say "I am Corn done RIGHT!"

Nex ttime we are going to remove some of the husk as it did not allow the smoke flavor and heating as much as I want.  And I will smoke it a little longer (1 hour 30 minutes maybe, or 1 hour 45 minutes). 

NOTE:  Do not eat the bacon after the smoking, I sampled a bit, its not rendered all the way and it has to much a husk flavor to it.  The trade-off was well worth it.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, we have one cob left in the fridge that we smoked that has been setting up.  Guess we will fight about it tonight.  Its been sitting still wrapped with the bacon in it.
IKnowWood