• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New 4 Rack Smoker - Is this a problem with the temperature controller

Started by paulsnapp, December 25, 2012, 06:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulsnapp

I bought a new 4 rack digital smoker.  Following the instructions to season it, I started the smoker and set the oven temp to 150F.  The temp would climb up to 187 and then drop to 135 over and over during the hour seasoning time.

I filled all 4 racks with jerky.
When I set the temp controller to 140 it went up and down from 151 to 122 an hour.
When I set the temp controller to 160 it went up and down from 173 to 147 for 3 hours.
When I set the temp controller to 170 it went up and down from 174 to 147 for three hours.

I work in electronics and even the cheapest digital controller out of China can hold very tight temperatures.  Since I am new to this I would believe that my smoker is defective but thought I would run this by this forum before I sent it back just to see what is really going on.  Thanks for any replies and/or advice!
Bradley 4 Rack Digital Smoker
Auber Dual Probe PID Controller
Second Heating Element Mod
Smoke and Stuff Fan Mod

TedEbear

The controller that comes with the Bradley will have wide temp swings similar to what you posted.  If you want a tighter temp control, many owners have added a PID controller, which will keep the temp to within 2-3 degrees.

Auber PID controller prices range from around $45 for a single probe that you install in either the SG or a project box, to around $190 for an external dual probe "plug-n-play".

DaWiz

While the smoker is well construcrted, the digital control for temperature is , IMHO, poorly implemented.  It appears theat there are a couple of flaws in the DBS:

First is the temperature sensor; the placememt is in the path of the heat rising from the element on the back wall.  This will cause it to read higher that the actual temperature in the rest of the smoker - resulting in inaccurate readings.

The second flaw is the software that copntrols the heatiung element; it os a pure on/pff control that does not account for "overrun".  The element is on until tjhe setpoint is reached and then turns off - the element is still hot and continues to heat causing the temperature to continue to rise. 

beefmann

KyNola

As the load in the tower comes up, the heat swings lessen.  The controller is an on/off controller.  The controller is either full on or full off.  It doesn't pulse back and forth rapidly like a PID will do.  "Most" items that you smoke won't be adversely effected by the temp swings.  If you are smoking fresh sausages or fish, tighter temp ccontrols are needed.

Your smoker is not defective.  There is a learning curve that you simply haven't completed as of yet.  Relax and don't fret.  We're all here to help.  If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask.

Quarlow

The Bradley control works perfectly fine for its intended usage. Try putting a temp probe thermometer in your $2000 oven and see what the temp swing of it is. Bradley could certainly tighten up there controls if you want to pay another hundred or two.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

STLstyle

BBQ Guru also has a great PID if interested in tightening the temp swings.  Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

paulsnapp

I took the suggestion and checked the temp of the oven in my kitchen with a digital probe.  Nothing special about the oven, just a GE oven the contractor installed when the house was built.  The temp swing was 4 degrees over and 2 degrees  under the target temp.  I am an electrical engineer and work for an electronics manufacturer.  It would take less than $10 and maybe 12 components for Bradley to change the circuit to the heater from a pure full on full off to a normal circuit that adjusts the current to the heater based on the target temperature.  Not rocket science so you are wrong about the need to add $200.  You can add a full programmable logic PID for less than that.
Bradley 4 Rack Digital Smoker
Auber Dual Probe PID Controller
Second Heating Element Mod
Smoke and Stuff Fan Mod

STLstyle

IMO the digital should perform with tightened temp swings for the price.  I'm with you on that!

Sent from my iPhone
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

TedEbear

Quote from: paulsnapp on December 28, 2012, 07:55:40 AMNot rocket science so you are wrong about the need to add $200.  You can add a full programmable logic PID for less than that.

Around $45, in a link I posted previously.

Quarlow

Quote from: paulsnapp on December 28, 2012, 07:55:40 AM
I took the suggestion and checked the temp of the oven in my kitchen with a digital probe.  Nothing special about the oven, just a GE oven the contractor installed when the house was built.  The temp swing was 4 degrees over and 2 degrees  under the target temp.  I am an electrical engineer and work for an electronics manufacturer.  It would take less than $10 and maybe 12 components for Bradley to change the circuit to the heater from a pure full on full off to a normal circuit that adjusts the current to the heater based on the target temperature.  Not rocket science so you are wrong about the need to add $200.  You can add a full programmable logic PID for less than that.
Not saying it would cost 200. But you know how it goes, add a feature charger a hundred, add two features charge 300......... An eletrical engineer, well you will fit in just nice around here. LOL
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

KyNola

Quarlow

Quote from: KyNola on December 30, 2012, 09:09:33 AM
Quote from: Quarlow on December 30, 2012, 08:09:39 AM
An eletrical engineer, well you will fit in just nice around here. LOL
Q, ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]oops I am so sick right now I must be crosseyed.

OBS
BBQ

KyNola

I was actually referring to your comment, not your spelling. ;)  Sorry to hear you're ill.  Get better soon my friend.

Ketch22