• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

want to make some beef jerky today

Started by Grassman, December 27, 2012, 06:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grassman

I made pulled pork the other day and the kids liked it, but first words out of their mouths " when do we get beef jerky".

My set up is as follows: BTIS1 with dual mod and a dual probe PID - vent removed so it is wide open.

I will smoke and finish in the Bradley - since I will have good control over temps and times.

Question: What is the correct temps and times to make jerky? I have run a search and the information is all over the place.

Also I need to buy the meat today - do I purchase a roast to cut up? I want to make whole muscle not ground.
BTIS1
Dual Element Mod
Auber Dual Probe
Maverick ET-732

Silvergrizz

This might be of some help. I have been doing research myself, plan to make some soon. Around here the best/cheapest way is to buy a full round roast to slice up. Here is the link

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/hams-other-meats/jerky

I'm sure more knowledgable help will jump in shortly. Good luck
Grizz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sailor

Lots of different ways that jerky can be done.  Will you be using whole muscle or ground beef?  Personally I do both with a cabinet temp set at 150 degrees with vent wide open.  I notice you took the vent off so that is not a concern.  I recommend that you rotate the trays top to bottom front to back every hour.  Drying time will depend on outside temp and wind.  My OSB has a fan kit installed so I get good circulation and a 4 tray load takes 6 to 8 hrs depending.  When it looks like it is getting done do a bend test.  It should bend and not break.  If it breaks it is over done.  It will take some practice but you will get the hang of it.  I would say after about 5 hrs to start doing the bend test.  You can tell if there is still too much moisture in the jerky when you rotate the racks.  Good luck and we look forward to the photos of the smoke.  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

devo

Ya what Sailer said X2
I will only add that I like whole meat jerky better than ground. Never found a mix I like for ground yet. Maybe some day. Retirement is coming so maybe than. 17 more months and I can smoke all day YAAAA......hehehehe

pikeman_95

Devo
Try 3.3 oz of Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki / pound of ground meat with 2-3 TBS of crushed red pepper / 10 pounds of ground meat and 1 tsp of cure # 1 for each 5 pounds of meat, you might be surprised. I know you like things hot so you can kick up the spice a little more. I would grind the crushed red pepper in a coffee mill or a blender to get a little better spread but It is so simple to do. You could also probably use the same formula for sliced jerky. I just have never tried it.

KyNola

Quote from: Sailor on December 27, 2012, 01:35:30 PM
Lots of different ways that jerky can be done.  Will you be using whole muscle or ground beef?  Personally I do both with a cabinet temp set at 150 degrees with vent wide open.  I notice you took the vent off so that is not a concern.  I recommend that you rotate the trays top to bottom front to back every hour.  Drying time will depend on outside temp and wind.  My OSB has a fan kit installed so I get good circulation and a 4 tray load takes 6 to 8 hrs depending.  When it looks like it is getting done do a bend test.  It should bend and not break.  If it breaks it is over done.  It will take some practice but you will get the hang of it.  I would say after about 5 hrs to start doing the bend test.  You can tell if there is still too much moisture in the jerky when you rotate the racks.  Good luck and we look forward to the photos of the smoke.  ;D
DittoX2!

devo

QuoteTry 3.3 oz of Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki / pound of ground meat

Thanks Kirby but maybe you can send some of that stuff up here to Canada...........by the time I get it and yes I have ordered it at three times the amount that it is worth I don't think ground beef jerky is worth it.

Grassman

Went to our local meat store and the guy hooked me up with a bottom round roast - 11lbs they cut it up for me in the back a little larger than 1/4" strips - Made a simple marinade and it is in the fridge until tomorrow - I seen on line that someone was hanging strips with paper clips from the bottom of the smoke racks - Looked like a great way to get a lot of meat per load - Will try tomorrow and post pics - Thanks

Family has just about finished 8lbs of pulled pork in 2 days - good thing I have one more ready to go in after the jerky - Weather is nasty up here nice thing to do on a rainy cold day (smoker is set up inside my shed).

BTIS1
Dual Element Mod
Auber Dual Probe
Maverick ET-732

devo

Looking at the size of the  Bisquettes  you have loaded you will be smoking for some time  ;)

Grassman

Devo

Loaded a lot more than I needed for a 4 hour smoke - the PID shut off the smoke generator after 4 hours so I only used the pucks that were required.
BTIS1
Dual Element Mod
Auber Dual Probe
Maverick ET-732

Sailor

Looks like you are getting 1 beer per hour of smoke......not sure but I think you might want to double that ratio  :o  ;D

Grassman

Can't smoke without my Bud lights - I thought this was required equipment  8)  you should be able to buy a 30 pack of pucks and beer at the same shop  ;)
BTIS1
Dual Element Mod
Auber Dual Probe
Maverick ET-732

Grassman

Loaded up the smoker this morning - tried hanging the jerky with clips

BTIS1
Dual Element Mod
Auber Dual Probe
Maverick ET-732

Sailor

Nice load of jerky you got going.  Not saying there is a right way or a wrong way.  It is hard to see in the photo how much space there is between each piece of meat.  When drying jerky it is key to get air circulation between the slices.  If packed tight you won't get much circulation which will cut down on the amount of smoke each piece gets and to remove moisture.  As long as you have a good amount of space for air flow you will end up with a good product.  If the smoke is taking a long time then you might not have enough space.  Just sayin  ;D

Grassman

Just checked on them - drying nicely and air flow looks good - As they dry there is more room. Tried a small piece good flavor,but still needs more time.
BTIS1
Dual Element Mod
Auber Dual Probe
Maverick ET-732