• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Venison Sausage

Started by viper125, December 27, 2012, 03:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

Well made up the venison Salami the other day. Buddy got another doe. This was a large one. Got 40 lbs of deboned and ground venison. So yesterday we made it into Salami. The one thing about him is he believes venison Salami needs to be 100% venison. No problem with me but I mix mine to add fat and to stretch out the meat. LOL! We didnt add any fat just his soy bean protein.  Today while i was plowing he fired up his master built and smoked it in Cherry. Took 16 hours and we had  most in large casings and 3 loave pans. The loave pans are his as he prefers them that way. Also dumped in about 2-3 lbs of Jalapenos. Definitely has a good bite. Figured you seen enough pics of stuffing and mixing.  But will get some of the meat. I also was a little upset I didn't have the Kirby Cannon assembled. Hope to show that off soon. He laid Apple smoke for the whole 16 hours. Me I think its a little too much smoke. But still good. LOL! Also for venison It really moist and oh coarse little to no fat.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

STLstyle

Can't wait to see pics viper!  If it's good post that recipe too! 

Sent from my iPhone
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

viper125

Well here is my revised recipe. I dropped the red and  this time  Cayenne in favor of the Jalapenos.  I really like it hot and will add some of the others next time.   This has got a burn to it. But still not as hot as i like.. But other then that it came out great.

5 lbs venison
7.5 tsp. Tender Quick
2 1/2 tsp. Butcher pepper or coarse ground peppercorns
2 1/2 tsp. mustard
1 1/2 Garlic Powder
2 tsp Granulated Garlic
1 tsp Onion powder
1/2 cup water
1 tsp of Cayenne
1.5 tsp of red pepper flakes.   We dropped the Cayenne and the red pepper, And added Jalapenos.

about two to three large ones per lb. or to taste. Diced well! I may add some red pepper next time. But if

your doing it this way try it with out first.

He smoked with Apple and i assume he used the regular sausage smoking temps. At least I would have. He also smoked 16 hours of Apple. I'm sure 3-4 would be more then enough for me.
Inside setup.

STLstyle

Thanks Viper!  I too like it hot.  I'm gonna try this recipe out + some hi temp habanero cheese I acquired.  What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod

STLstyle

Is the mustard ground or seeds in the recipe?

Sent from my iPhone
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod

viper125

I think the Cheese would be fine. We normally add some if we got it. But that's to your own preference or what you have.
I use mustard seed and grind in my spice grinder also the peppercorns if i don't have butchers pepper. Its a lot fresher like that then the powders. And I like some coarse so when you bite into a piece it throws that flavor out at you.
Inside setup.

viper125

Well the sausage was cooling its heels in the fridge and I figured what the heck its not going anywhere and I have a deer hanging. And I really want to use the Kirby cannon on the next meat. Cranking really gets old when you have that cannon setting there and your using a crank one.  ::) So off I ran. Well this town im in is so bad you cant buy a threaded fitting so I was 5 hours finding a commercial place that does. So got every thing I needed and headed home 
Well walk in the door and I new there was a problem! There is my wife!  ;)

She looks up or a minute and with that southern smile she says hope you don't mind me helping you a bit. Well no complaints from me. She's always up to her elbows in about every thing i do. And I really do appreciate it. I look around and the 20lbs or half of the forty we made is all sliced and mostly vacuum sealed and marked. So i help her finish and start to put the kirby cannon together. Now all i need to do is mount her on a board. Thought id share a few pics. This is 100% pure venison Salami. Very Delicious.

Im also going to mount that Plastic box approximately where it is now. On the board. Man all these extra stuffing tubes just got to have some place to put it all. Also the cleaning stuff. Minus the rod o coarse. Will find a way to melt it too!

Well that's are real venison sausage. And by that color you can see the difference.  Great taste, no fat and I would think its about the healthiest sausage you could make. And the cannon Cant say enough about it. Test run coming soon. Been real busy with the holidays and trying to get rid of pneumonia. So sorry this has taken so long. Have had three deer so ar and usually shot ,cleaned and frozen in 12 hours or less. This year they have averaged 72 hours. Hell to get old! I still think it was a teenager who come up with the golden years thing. Only thing golden is your teeth and your piss and not even that is always true! ;D

Inside setup.

SiFumar

That's some mighty fine looking salami!