• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cabelas Manual Stuffer (plunger style) is junk!

Started by REPO, December 28, 2012, 06:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

REPO

Just a word of caution to anyone that is looking to get started in sausage making. (Like myself) I bought one of those manual 3 pound stuffers from Cabelas this summer. It's the plunger style with an arm that you push down on.  Well I put the small tube in to make pepperoni sticks and mixed up the meat as per instructions. I even added the extra water as it said it would help it push through the smaller tube. I sprayed the inside with PAM cooking spray to help the plunger slide as well.  Even after all this, I had to kneel on the counter top so I could actually use my entire body weight to push down on the plunger!!! I had my wife feeding the casings so I could use both hands on the arm!  What a heap of junk.  After we finally finished (1.5 hours for 3 pounds) I didn't even bother cleaning it, just threw the entire thing into the trash.  Aaarrgggggg.

Ordered a new LEM crank style from BassPro to replace it.  :)

STLstyle

Ouch.  Congrats on the LEM!  I hope you like that one b/c Santa brought me one of those for Christmas...

Sent from my iPhone
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

marauder11

5 pound LEM was my first stuffer. Steel gears extra o ring and it will last me till i am dead. My grand kids will use it lol

Sailor

Some toys tools are just better for the job at hand.  Kinda like using a pair of vicegrips to over haul and engine  :o   You will love the 5lb stuff and will make lots and lots of sausage.  Guess we have hooked another one boys  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

NePaSmoKer

Yeah them horn stuffers are junk.

Like trying to push meat thru a grease gun.

REPO

Thanks guys, I just had to rant a little. I just can't believe they sell that crap. I guess I should have opened it up in the store before I bought it, now it's too late. The inside where you put the meat is very rough, almost sand paper like in areas, I would have thought it should be super smooth for the seal to seal against? 
No matter now I guess, I just hope the LEM can crank them out a little faster! I want to try making some breakfast sausages soon, and still got a ton of pepperoni to get finished up!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: REPO on December 28, 2012, 10:05:46 AM
Thanks guys, I just had to rant a little. I just can't believe they sell that crap. I guess I should have opened it up in the store before I bought it, now it's too late. The inside where you put the meat is very rough, almost sand paper like in areas, I would have thought it should be super smooth for the seal to seal against? 
No matter now I guess, I just hope the LEM can crank them out a little faster! I want to try making some breakfast sausages soon, and still got a ton of pepperoni to get finished up!

The LEM will out perform the horn stuffer big time.

PapaC

Quote from: STLstyle on December 28, 2012, 06:37:49 AM
Ouch.  Congrats on the LEM!  I hope you like that one b/c Santa brought me one of those for Christmas...

Sent from my iPhone

ME TOO! Glad I got a good one right off the bat. Can't wait to try it.
I'm just a social smoker, I can quit any time I want.

Quarlow

I think you are selling it short. Look how strong it is to be able to stand that much force.
: Cabela's Manual plunger style sauasage stuffer. Won't stuff for nothing but its a hell of a workout.:
LOL
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

REPO

Quote from: Quarlow on December 29, 2012, 09:46:43 AM
I think you are selling it short. Look how strong it is to be able to stand that much force.
: Cabela's Manual plunger style sauasage stuffer. Won't stuff for nothing but its a hell of a workout.:
LOL

Ha ha ha! I guess that's true! I'm 220+ and had all my weight on that friggin arm and nothing broke! LOL

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.