• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Max temp on an unmodified OBS.

Started by Illinois Hokie, December 28, 2012, 11:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illinois Hokie

Just curious what everyone's experience is with their OBS. Personally my smoker will max out about 255-260°F empty. Also seems like heat recovery takes quite a while if doing anything largish like a shoulder or a brisket. Like 3-4 hours. Is this typical?

Of course I realize the heat recovery issue is because the cold meat is holding the ambient temp down in the cabinet and is between the in-door thermometer and the element but I'm just wondering if the max temp I'm reaching sounds average or low.

viper125

Well that's because their not suppose to go that high! Its a smoker for low and slow. When most of use go 250 or better we  consider it cooking not smoking. Then we do it in an oven. There is a sensor to keep it under 260 I believe. I do most meats around 160 and the highest ever was 225. Just for a short time to finish coo  king. If you got meat that you think requires that tmuch heat. Just smoke it for a few hours or so and then put in the oven to cook!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

devo

Quote from: Illinois Hokie on December 28, 2012, 11:21:57 AM
Just curious what everyone's experience is with their OBS. Personally my smoker will max out about 255-260°F empty. Also seems like heat recovery takes quite a while if doing anything largish like a shoulder or a brisket. Like 3-4 hours. Is this typical?

Of course I realize the heat recovery issue is because the cold meat is holding the ambient temp down in the cabinet and is between the in-door thermometer and the element but I'm just wondering if the max temp I'm reaching sounds average or low.

Ya your temps are about average or even better. When doing chickens and such the higher temps come in handy. Oh and I think they will kick out at 280 F

Illinois Hokie

That's what I figured. The reason I ask is because Bradley recommends running a smoker exclusively on its own circuit, but the outlet on my deck that I plug by Bradley into is actually a six outlet outdoor surge protector with a light sensor for a dawn to dusk setting. The cord for the surge proctor feeds into my basement and then plugs into a standard 110   outlet rather than being hardwired. I was wondering if running off that power source was costing me some power and performance.

beefmann

pretty much your right on, i have had my obs set at 225 and when added 25 lbs of ham it never got back to 225  though the ham IT was at 175 when i pulled it ,,, box temp was at 218 controlled by a pid

Quarlow

Get a couple of bricks and wrap them with tinfoil. They will act as a heat sink and help with temp recovery. Place them on the bottom rack if you aren't using it or nich them in were you can. Be very cautious about putting them on the V-Tray. I have put one on it but only if what I am smoking is not greasy. You can put them in the OBS when you start to preheat it or you can stick them in the oven and get them good and warm then transfer them over.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ragweed

I had a similar situation yesterday and was going to ask for help when I read Beefman's response.  Preheated my OBS (no mods) to 225° F, controlled by an Auber PID.  Added an 11.4 lb turkey, smoked for 4 hrs and continued to slow cook.  Six hours later, the IT was only 156° F and the box temp never made it past 216° F.  Pulled and finished in the oven.  The bone-in turkey breasts done before only took 8-9 hrs.

Guess I should have been more patient, but I've never had a problem reaching set point before.

This is a great forum!  The answers to my questions are here, even before I ask them!

Ragweed

Grassman

Being new to the forum - I will offer my 2 cents:

I agree with the slow and low 100% but by adding a $20 second element the smoker performs so much better - I am surprized that Bradley does not offer the upgrade themselfs.

Many people have upgraded and when you set your temp at 225 degrees within 30minutes you are there and holding even with a full load of cold meat. Just like others have said - the extra power is not to cook at higher temps just so you can get there and hold it.
BTIS1
Dual Element Mod
Auber Dual Probe
Maverick ET-732

PapaC

Quote from: ragweed on December 29, 2012, 06:31:52 AM
I had a similar situation yesterday and was going to ask for help when I read Beefman's response.  Preheated my OBS (no mods) to 225° F, controlled by an Auber PID.  Added an 11.4 lb turkey, smoked for 4 hrs and continued to slow cook.  Six hours later, the IT was only 156° F and the box temp never made it past 216° F.  Pulled and finished in the oven.  The bone-in turkey breasts done before only took 8-9 hrs.

Guess I should have been more patient, but I've never had a problem reaching set point before.

This is a great forum!  The answers to my questions are here, even before I ask them!

Ragweed

Doesn't sound right. I did my Thanksgiving turkey the same way. 12lb bird at 220* 4 hrs smoke, 2 hours heat only for a total of 6 hrs, int temp hit 160*. Took it out and tent for 1/2 hour. Perfect.

I'm just a social smoker, I can quit any time I want.

PapaC

Quote from: Illinois Hokie on December 28, 2012, 11:21:57 AM

Ambient temp will affect it also. In the summer I got 250 easy and had to turn it down, in the winter it will max out at 210-220, and take its time getting there (OBS no mods). I'll second what was said above, you really can't be in a hurry when smokin. Have fun,

Carl
I'm just a social smoker, I can quit any time I want.

Illinois Hokie

Quote from: Grassman on December 29, 2012, 08:15:46 AM
Being new to the forum - I will offer my 2 cents:

I agree with the slow and low 100% but by adding a $20 second element the smoker performs so much better - I am surprized that Bradley does not offer the upgrade themselfs.

Many people have upgraded and when you set your temp at 225 degrees within 30minutes you are there and holding even with a full load of cold meat. Just like others have said - the extra power is not to cook at higher temps just so you can get there and hold it.

Right, and my thought process was if my max temp was low that meant my element wasn't getting enough juice which would cause longer heat recovery times. For the record, I never smoke above 240ish.

I'm very interested in the dual element mod but I have zero experience with electrical wiring and don't want my learning experience to be on my baby. If I could find someone to do the work for a charge then I'd gladly pay a fair price, be it in dollars or food.

TedEbear

Quote from: Illinois Hokie on December 29, 2012, 03:02:38 PMI'm very interested in the dual element mod but I have zero experience with electrical wiring and don't want my learning experience to be on my baby. If I could find someone to do the work for a charge then I'd gladly pay a fair price, be it in dollars or food.

Where at in Illinois?  I'm in the St. Louis area and I added a second element to mine.  Be sure and also add a PID controller if you do this.

Illinois Hokie

Quote from: TedEbear on December 30, 2012, 02:56:21 AM
Quote from: Illinois Hokie on December 29, 2012, 03:02:38 PMI'm very interested in the dual element mod but I have zero experience with electrical wiring and don't want my learning experience to be on my baby. If I could find someone to do the work for a charge then I'd gladly pay a fair price, be it in dollars or food.

Where at in Illinois?  I'm in the St. Louis area and I added a second element to mine.  Be sure and also add a PID controller if you do this.

Galesburg. I'm right at the "elbow" of I-74 between Peoria and the Quad Cities where the interstate hooks from vaguely westbound to due north until you reach Iowa.

An Auber PID is an absolute must if/when I have the mod done. I'm leaning toward the dual probe to eliminate needing a separate wireless meat thermometer. Should make the smoker setup a little cleaner that way.

Habanero Smoker

Those remote thermometers come in handy. You can be in another area of the yard or house and still know that everything is functioning alright.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

Yep sure do! I can go back to the back of my 3 1/2 acres and still watch it. Still waiting for them to come out with a WiFi, phone  or internet app. Then I could use my droid.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.