• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Meat Tenderizer Question

Started by REPO, December 28, 2012, 06:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REPO

So I am interested in doing Hab's Canadian bacon. In his recipe he calls for Morton Tenderquick. All I have been able to find is Clubhouse meat tenderizer. It's pure white. Is this the same sort of stuff? I want to be sure I am using the correct stuff before I start.

Thanks in advance!

3rensho

No, that is definitely not the same stuff.  Tender Quick, despite its name is a curing mixture containing sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate and is in no way related to a meat tenderizer.  You need the nitrite and nitrate salts for safety (inhibit bacterial growth) when curing meats for long time.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

SiFumar

As 3rensho said, Tender Quick and Meat tenderizer are not the same.  If you notice in the recipe he( Habanero Smoker) also says (or Basic Dry Cure) if you click on that Basic Dry Cure it will give you a recipe to make something to use instead of Tender Quick(TQ).  It includes Cure #1, sugar and pickling salt. And is used the same as TQ.  Cure #1 is used in many applications in smoking such as Belly bacon, Canadian bacon, sausage and Jerky plus other things.  If you don't have a source near you, you can order from numerous sites for reasonable prices(shipping usually costs more unless you order other things.)  It is well worth getting the Cure #1 to make the basic cure.  Once you make Canadian Bacon...THERE IS NO GOING BACK!!!  You and your family will be hooked! ;D  Keep asking questions and enjoy the ride.  I'm going on 2 yrs here and have enjoyed it tremendously and you will too!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: SiFumar on December 28, 2012, 10:24:01 PM
As 3rensho said, Tender Quick and Meat tenderizer are not the same.  If you notice in the recipe he( Habanero Smoker) also says (or Basic Dry Cure) if you click on that Basic Dry Cure it will give you a recipe to make something to use instead of Tender Quick(TQ).  It includes Cure #1, sugar and pickling salt. And is used the same as TQ.  Cure #1 is used in many applications in smoking such as Belly bacon, Canadian bacon, sausage and Jerky plus other things.  If you don't have a source near you, you can order from numerous sites for reasonable prices(shipping usually costs more unless you order other things.)  It is well worth getting the Cure #1 to make the basic cure.  Once you make Canadian Bacon...THERE IS NO GOING BACK!!!  You and your family will be hooked! ;D  Keep asking questions and enjoy the ride.  I'm going on 2 yrs here and have enjoyed it tremendously and you will too!

Ditto with Si
And some meat tenderizers have Papain in it.

REPO

Thanks guys, that is what I sort of thought. I looked at the ingredients and didn't see sodium nitrate, so I thought I better ask!

So is one better than the other? (Cure #1 and Morton Tenderquick)
If given the choice, what would you buy?

Thanks!

Silvergrizz

I would go for the closest source available. There are excellent conversion tables depending on what you are able to source.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

devo

Morton Tenderquick has way more salt in it than you need in some recipes. I would go for cure #1 any day over  Morton Tenderquick

SiFumar

Quote from: devo on December 29, 2012, 09:39:40 AM
Morton Tenderquick has way more salt in it than you need in some recipes. I would go for cure #1 any day over  Morton Tenderquick

What he said!  Also you can make the Basic Cure with the Cure #1 when you want to use a recipe that has TQ in it.  And other times(I use most often) you can use straight cure, 1tsp per 5lbs of meat.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: REPO on December 29, 2012, 06:47:25 AM
Thanks guys, that is what I sort of thought. I looked at the ingredients and didn't see sodium nitrate, so I thought I better ask!

So is one better than the other? (Cure #1 and Morton Tenderquick)
If given the choice, what would you buy?

Thanks!

Cure #1
MTQ in a pinch but you need to adjust the salt in your recipe.