• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Poaching then resmoking?

Started by cobra6223, January 02, 2013, 04:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cobra6223

A friend and I were having a discussion about smoking SS and then poaching and since smoke flavor get lost could you smoke then poach and then smoke for another hour or so to get some of the flavor back? As always thanks in advance for your thoughts, suggestions and advice.
Tim

Kevin A

I'm of the mind the 'second' smoking may not provide as much benefit (i.e. ''additional smokiness") as one may think.
Once the meat is cooked (or in this case, poached), the SS is not nearly as permeable to smoke as before the high temps are applied.

I've done a few batches of sausages where I've taken a portion that I smoked, then poached—and compared it to the remainder which were finished entirely in the smoker. I did not notice a significant difference in the smokey flavor between the two. The biggest difference is in the appearance—the poached were plumper (less wrinkly) on the outside, and juicier on the inside. The ones from the smoker tended to be a bit drier in texture, and darker in appearance as well. Both had good smokey flavor.

I like both versions. The tougher 'chew' on the long-smoked ones is appealing on some links, as it the juiciness of some of the poached varieties.

Kevin

Links finished in poacher:

Links finished in the smoker:

destrouk

Hi guys they look awesome but what do you mean by SS

super sausage LOL  8)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: destrouk on January 04, 2013, 03:39:33 PM
Hi guys they look awesome but what do you mean by SS

super sausage LOL  8)

Summer
Sausage