• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Venison sausages, what kind of fat?

Started by Geoff_S, January 04, 2013, 09:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_S

I've got 5kg of venison that I'm picking up in a week. I know from all of the recipes that I need to add a kilo of fat and they all suggest beef/pork.

However, We cooked a goose last night and ended up with a kilo of goose fat. It's obviously a lot thinner than pork/beef fat, but what do people
think the result would be if I used it in the venison sausage mix?

Cheers

devo

I really don't know what the difference would be. I do know when I use beef fat rather than pork fat I get a totally different taste. So I would guess your taste would be way different. I will be watching this one for some other opinions and just how it turns out if you do in fact use goose fat.

RAF128

I have a neighbor at the lake that's a retired butcher.    In his shop he also made sausage.    Now lives at the lake and has a little shop set up where he custom cuts wild meat for the local hunters and makes sausage for them.   He and I frequently talk about making sausage and he's given me plenty of hints.    I used to us pork fat for my venision sausages and bought a product the butcher shop call 50/50.    Seemed to me there was more fat than meat in it.   Neighbor told me that that pork fat would make the sausage greasy.   When he makes wild meat sausage he adds pork and buys pork shoulders.   More meat than fat and a better end product.   

Piker

I have never used goose fat before but to me it would seem to be very greasy as I have eaten tame and wild geese. I have tried both beef and pork fat, picnic shoulders and 80/20 ground pork as mix in many different % mixed with venison. After a few years of experimenting I use 50% venison plus 50% ground pork. Makes a very tasty sausage thats not to fat does not fat out when cooking and keeps well. Thks Piker

Tenpoint5

I would recommend against the goose fat since it has already been rendered down do to the cooking process. You won't be able to get the fat evenly distributed in the venison. I too use Boston butts as a fat source in my venison SSH
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

lophole

NePaSmoKer

Cut some 80/20 ground beef in it. i do it all the time with venison sausage.

viper125

With me its always pork. I used to use beef fat or burger. Wife would never eat it. Said it had a off taste. Switched  to ground pork or even just pork fat. And she loves it. I would suggest a small batch of both and fry a burger or two up/Then judge. All peoples tastes are different.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

destrouk

dont use the goose fat ..mate did it once tasted bloody aweful but peoples tastes are different sooooooooooooo ;)

Geoff_S

Thanks guys, the general consensus seems to be don't do it.

So, it's going to be venison sausages .... with roasted potatoes done in goose fat!!

pensrock

I have been making venison sausage all my life and we always used 50/50 venison to ground pork butt. Makes a great sausage. If you are looking for a beefier taste then follow NEPAS suggestions. I have done that as well when making ground meat for burger/meatloaf etc using venison but never tried it in a sausage.