• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Reel him in boys the hook is set

Started by Sailor, January 06, 2013, 08:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

My daughter gave my SIL a smoker for Christmas ( not a Bradley  :(  :( ) He wanted to learn the art of sausage making and Saturday he got his first lesson.  They love my fresh Jalapeno & Cheddar and the Italian sausage.  He is the one that gave me some of the Nilgal Antelope that his boss shot.  He wanted 10lbs of Jalapeno & Cheddar, 10lb of Italian and 10lb of summer sausage using the Antelope.  He got to do all of the cutting, grinding, mixing and stuffing.  I did help with washing the tools in between mixing.  Ground up 23 pounds of pork for our project.  For the summer sausage we used 7 pounds Antelope and 3 pounds of pork.  He got the grinding part mastered as well as the mixing part.  The stuffing part took him a little while to get used to but he got it mastered too.  At the end of the 6 hrs from start to finish I asked him what he thought about sausage making.  He had the biggest grin on his face and said "I have to get a grinder, stuffer, frog mats, PID, mixing tubs and casings."  Yes Sir boys we have hooked another unsuspecting victim into the world of sausage making.  He just called and said he has the chubs in the smoker and will keep me informed to the progress.  It is good that they will now be able to make their own stuff and not raid my freezer  ;D

He is starting the grinding

His first mixing attempt with Jalapeno & Cheddar

Only had 1 blow out in the fresh sausage department.  He did a great job of making links

All of the sausage was made and this was his last chub.  I had just asked him what he thought of sausage making.  Big grin!

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

GusRobin

Quote from: Sailor on January 06, 2013, 08:26:10 AM
  It is good that they will now be able to make their own stuff and not raid my freezer  ;D

Maybe soon it will be time for some "reverse raiding".
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Keymaster

Thats Awesome, I bet he wasn't smiling so much puting them casings on the stuffer tube for the first time ;D

Sailor

Quote from: Keymaster on January 06, 2013, 08:57:06 AM
Thats Awesome, I bet he wasn't smiling so much puting them casings on the stuffer tube for the first time ;D
I just spit Pepsi all over my screen reading this!  I wish I would have made a video of him trying to thread them on the 1st time.  After he putzed with it a while I showed him how to do it.   ;D

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

NePaSmoKer

Cool beans man.

Is that a sizing and twisting jig your using?

Sailor

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on January 06, 2013, 12:29:05 PM
Cool beans man.

Yes.  I took a piece of wood and drilled several holes to fit a piece of dowel rod.  I have a hole for snack stix, short links of sausage and longer links.  All my links come out the same.  On fresh sausage I make the 1st link then move it to the left and pinch a link then move it to the left and pinch at both rods then twist.  Move the finished link to the left and pinch the start of the next link move to the left and pinch and twist.  No more twist to the left and twist to the right.  Works great for me.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Sailor on January 06, 2013, 02:50:24 PM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on January 06, 2013, 12:29:05 PM
Cool beans man.

Yes.  I took a piece of wood and drilled several holes to fit a piece of dowel rod.  I have a hole for snack stix, short links of sausage and longer links.  All my links come out the same.  On fresh sausage I make the 1st link then move it to the left and pinch a link then move it to the left and pinch at both rods then twist.  Move the finished link to the left and pinch the start of the next link move to the left and pinch and twist.  No more twist to the left and twist to the right.  Works great for me.

Thats allot of pinching   ;D

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SiFumar

That is awesome!  We love your Jalapeno/Cheddar sausage too! In fact made 5 lb batch yesterday! Except didn't have cheddar so use jalapeno jack cheese so we called Jala Jala Sausage.  One of our favorite recipes...thank you!