• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Newbie from Pa

Started by Ohiojude, January 13, 2013, 02:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohiojude

Hello,

Got my first Bradley Smoker for Christmas. Its a 4 rack digital. I have wanted one for awhile now :)

I love to cook and do 99% of the cooking including grilling.

A little dissapointed in myself so far. I have cooked 2 chuck roast. One came out alittle more rare than we like and tough but juicy. The 2nd one I did today came out done but dry. Also I was told the spice is a bit much. Either I used too much rub or its the smoke or combo of each. The first time I smoked for 3 hrs and cooked 4 hrs @ 230. The 2nd one I pan fried on each side thinking this was searing it. Smoked for 4 hrs and cooked for 7rs. I run the oven and wood at the same time on both. I am going to pick up a note book tomorrow and start keeping notes. I bought a small rack of ribs I want to try next but nervous if they won't turn out good. I used Hickry and Apple on both roast. I was thinking of using cherry and apple for the ribs.

Bradley 4 rack

RedJada

Welcome Ohiojude, funny that your name don't match your location. Close enough I guess, LOL Anyway, I'm am new to the Bradly my self (OBS) but not new to smoking. Sorry your chucks didn't come out as you would have liked but its just a learning curve. My first smoke in my Bradly was some BB ribs. I followed the recipe here in the "meat" section. Its a sticky there right on top. They came out great! Here is a great sit to get some good recipes for the Bradley.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes

Lots of great people here and everyone is willing to help. So just hang out and you will get more help.

Again, welcome.

Ohiojude

Thank You fellow Buckeye. Born and raised in NE Ohio but job moved me to Pittsburgh. Love our Browns, Indians and Cavs.

I'll check out the link, thank you and looking forward to learning and getting better and smokin!
Bradley 4 rack

GusRobin

For the ribs, use the 3-2-1 method but lower it to 3-1.5 -1.
That is 225* , 3 hrs smoke and just rub on the ribs. Put it meat side down for and hour then flip for the rest. After that 3 hours, drizzle honey, and brown sugar on the ribs, and put one tablespoon butter on the ribs. Double wrap in foil such that you can put in the smoker meat side down so that the juices don't drip out. After 1.5 hrs take out. Mop with juices in the foil and any sauce if you like. Put in the smoker for about 1 hr. Keep checking for tenderness as the last hour may be more or less.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Ohiojude

Thanks Gus. Do i have the smoker going only for the first 3 hrs. Then its just heat?
Bradley 4 rack

GusRobin

Quote from: Ohiojude on January 13, 2013, 04:18:19 PM
Thanks Gus. Do i have the smoker going only for the first 3 hrs. Then its just heat?

Yes- smoke the first 3 hours only
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

welcome aboard and hope the ribs come out better,,,, much like you  i also had to learn how  to cook in a smoker,,, so ask questions and im sure  someone  will be along to help

Habanero Smoker

Hi Ohiojude;

Welcome to the forum.

The below link will take you to an area you can downlog a smoking log that was modified for use with the Bradley.

Bradley Smoking Log

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ohiojude

Thank you everyone. I love how everyone is so helpful. I have been reading and printing alot of stuff its awsome.
Bradley 4 rack

Sam3

Welcome to the site!

I have property not far from Altoona. And some family there too.

Happy smoking!

Ketch22

Welcome to the forum. :)

cackler69

Welcome! From another newbie  ;D

Mrs. C  :-*