• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

questions for the sausage Gurus

Started by beefmann, January 16, 2013, 12:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beefmann

i have read that there is a difference  in taste between fried taste patty and finished sausage link, my question is  this..

1) leave out the  smoking is the  link hotter, sweeter, bland.. and if i dont have it covered here please explain what taste difference there is?

2)  how do i adjust for the taste difference... add more seasonings.. add more spices?   add more pepper?  and yes i know tis is a  personal taste...

3) in sausage making .. do we have to stuff it in a casing?  im thinking of making  into patties  like a  hamburger,,, any thoughts??

any  input would be appreciated .. thanks in advance

beefy

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: beefmann on January 16, 2013, 12:13:13 PM
i have read that there is a difference  in taste between fried taste patty and finished sausage link, my question is  this..

1) leave out the  smoking is the  link hotter, sweeter, bland.. and if i dont have it covered here please explain what taste difference there is?

2)  how do i adjust for the taste difference... add more seasonings.. add more spices?   add more pepper?  and yes i know tis is a  personal taste...

3) in sausage making .. do we have to stuff it in a casing?  im thinking of making  into patties  like a  hamburger,,, any thoughts??

any  input would be appreciated .. thanks in advance

beefy

1. Not sure what your asking here.
2. Its easier to add seasoning then to take out. Some test fry, i dont. I taste the raw meat and then make adjustments.
3. Its your call on how you like the sausage. If you dont have a stuffer then make patties.

I recently made swiss brat patties (to lazy to get stuffer out)

Remember making smoked sausage use cure
Fresh style no cure (but its your call here to cure or not.)

Habanero Smoker

I feel wrapping the patty in plastic wrap and simmer it in water until it is cooked gives you a better sense of the sausage true flavor. As Mike pointed out, frying does tend to make the test patty taste saltier, and the Maillard reaction tends to change the taste.

Besides patties you can make them into logs.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

SiFumar

I like Jim's Jalapeno + cheddar sausage in patties to throw on grill for sausage burgers.  And of course breakfast sausage in logs sliced.

viper125

I too taste raw. Always. But if im making some for the wife i fi as she'll do. By frying mostly. I cant taste a little heat these days. So shes my taster for those types. Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Ketch22

Hi
I do my brat patties out on the Grill

Kevin A

In my experience, skipping the smoke brings to the forefront the flavors (spices & salt) of the meat. Smoke can tend to mask some of the sweetness and saltiness in the mix. Frying actually accentuates the saltiness by rendering out some of the liquids and fat. To test a patty before smoking, I'll poach it in a fry pan with 1/2" of water.

2)  how do i adjust for the taste difference... add more seasonings.. add more spices?   add more pepper?
By taste. No other way that I would rely upon since our personal tastes vary. some like HEAT, other like a bit more salt.....

I really don't consider it 'sausage' unless it's stuffed in casings.  ;) Others may have a more liberal definition of the term, but pretty much any meat mixture you create for stuffing can be made into logs, patties, quenelles, crépinettes or any variation.

Kevin

beefmann

thank you  all.... great information

dale
Beefmann