• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Doing a couple of BB slabs

Started by RedJada, January 19, 2013, 12:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedJada

Nice day, dont have to work and new camera. And according to the news, snow for the next week starting tomorrow. So I thought I would take this opportunity to do a couple slabs of baby backs and play a little with the new camera. Pork in at 3:10pm EST. Holding at 205F

The more I play with this little Bradly, I'm not so sure I want to upgrade to another element. I'm really getting use to low and slow. I guess I'm getting use to how this reacts. I have been adding an hour (for heat recovery) to all my smokes/cooks and that's have been working out good. On these baby backs, I am doing the 2-2-1 method. But I plan on six hours, so late dinner tonight. Ill have more photos tomorrow.

Cheers....

iceman

Looking good RedJada. You have the right idea with low and slow. Enjoy your dinner and take a money shot for us.  :)

KyNola

Nice going!  You have taken the time and learned how your Bradley functions and have reached the top of the learning curve. 

I know those ribs will be great.

beefmann

RedJada

Oh yea, ribs are wrapped in foil going for their 2 hour cook. I couldn't believe the sunset I saw here in NE Ohio so had to take a pic. I know a lot of you guys/gals are north of me. Forecast call for snow for the next 5 days...

Gota love while you can.

GusRobin

rather have a pic of the ribs  ;D ;D ;D ;D
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

RedJada

Another great cook from the Bradly. Finished up with some home made corn bread and Jojo's. Thought I had some beans but must have eaten those along the way somewhere.

The more I cook with the Bradley the less Im thinking on the extra element upgrade. I have everything I need to do this mod but dont think I am going to do it. So, I'm thinking I will keep everything except the Auber duel prob PID. Check the wanted/for sale section for a good deal.

BAM1

Probably think twice about the upgrade.  Your cabinet will recover way faster and maintain higher temp in cold weather.  If you're going to venture into sausage, salmon, or jerky the PID is a life saver, literally.  You'll know the exact temp with no more swings in the danger zone.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

TedEbear

Quote from: BAM1 on January 20, 2013, 04:47:17 PM
Probably think twice about the upgrade.  Your cabinet will recover way faster and maintain higher temp in cold weather.

Yep.  With two 500W elements my OBS preheats in about 9 minutes versus 45-60 minutes it used to take.  I don't have be concerned with letting food sit out on the counter to warm up to room temp before placing it in the smoker or anything. Heat recovery time is drastically reduced. 

That, plus having a PID controller means I never have to go out in the middle of the night and adjust the slider temp control when the sun goes down and the chamber temp used to change considerably.  It stays within 2-3 degrees all on its own now. 

He will probably be thinking twice about his decision to not add that second element after a while.

Tenpoint5

Ribs look great. I would also suggest keeping the PID. When you start making sausage you will enjoy having it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

RedJada

First thing, I'm at 5 degrease right now and I'm not smoking anything. You people north of the boarder can just suck wind and take this weather back.  ;D ;D ;D (that was a joke)

I may someday do some long smokes and sausage. But right with the work schedule I just dont see it happening for awhile. So I figured since I'm not using the PID may as well let it go to someone that will put it to use. If I find a need, I will just buy another one.

Forecast says we will be warming up to 20 degrees this weekend, good time to do some cheese.

BAM1

Sitting here at +2 so it's a good day for bacon.  Wouldn't want to do this load with out my element upgrade.

Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

watchdog56

I am Minnesota and did the upgrade. Works great.