• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

COLD SMOKE GOAT

Started by Jim O, January 22, 2013, 12:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim O

I think I'm gonna cold smoke some goat to use in Jamaican style curry goat,rice and peas

Jim O.

- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Habanero Smoker

When cold smoking any meat, if it is not cured you need to take extra precautions. How much goat are you going to cold smoke, and for how long?

I been making a few curry dishes lately myself. Mainly Jamaican Curry Chicken; Beef; and rice. If you are into curry dishes you may want to check out Bobotie, it is a South African meat loaf that Manxman turned me onto; but he won't make the stuff himself  :). Do a google search, there are thousands of variations. I'm getting ready to make so this week.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Why would you cold smoke the goat?  Isn't the Jamaican curry goat, rice and peas a hot, meaning heated dish?

Jim O

My plan is to give it 2 hrs in the smoker while I'm doing some cheese,then into the pot to finish with the curry,etc.

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling

Smokeville

Jim O, you live in Wasago Beach, right? I'm from Oakville.

Folks, it ain't gonna be above freezing here in Ontario until next week. Jom's biggest problem will be making sure the goat doesn't freeze during the smoke....

;)

Rich (who does not enjoy changing the water bowl in winter)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Jim O on January 22, 2013, 02:33:22 PM
My plan is to give it 2 hrs in the smoker while I'm doing some cheese,then into the pot to finish with the curry,etc.

Jim O

That is what I thought you were going to do. If the meat has been handled properly, two hours of smoke between 60 - 70°F will be safe. What I would do is to cut the meat into large sections to increase the smoking surface area, then apply 1 to 1:20 hours of smoke. After cold smoking finish cutting it up into cubes for your recipe. I would go with either pecan or hickory.

Sounds delicious. I have a hard time finding goat meat, I'm thinking about using lamb. I can't seem to be able to cook the meat and rice together in the same pot and have it come out right. I now just dirty up some extra pots and cook them seperately.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Jim O

Smokeville

Ya, I'm from the Beach.

Just checked the temp here.  -26C !!!

Now that's cold !

Gonna have to re-think my menu for today.

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling