MORE Canadian Bacon

Started by Kevin A, February 24, 2013, 08:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4given

Kevin,

I have only used the dry rub method of curing for making CB byut I think I might want to try a brine like you did. A couple of questions if ya don't mind.

Can Mortons Tenderquick be substituted for Cure #1?

Could you share your brine recipie?

Thanks
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

Kevin A

Kevin

There's a different ratio when using the TenderQuick vs the basic Cure#1 and the salt needs to be adjusted.
SOMEWHERE on this site i know there's a chart or reference that explains the  substitution ratios.

I used a compilation of several recipes, tweaked a bit.
Makes a not-too-salty, rather sweet/spiced ham profile; heating it in a pan seem to bring out the maple flavor, especially on THICK slices:

For 8.5 lbs of pork
Kosher salt (.65lbs/295g )
filtered water (1 quart)
unfiltered apple juice (1 quart)
Cure#1 (68g)
Sugar (113g/1/4lb)
REAL maple syrup (1 cup)
Allspice (whole) (1.5 TBL)
Black peppercorns (whole) (2 TBL)
Bay leaves (4-6)

Bring all ingredients (except for pork & cure!) to a boil in a pot. Let brine cool before adding cure and pouring over pork.

classicrockgriller

I bookmarked this and it didn't go on to do list,

it went on my HAS to do list.

Thanks again Kevin.

4given

Quote from: Kevin A on February 28, 2013, 04:45:52 PM
Kevin

There's a different ratio when using the TenderQuick vs the basic Cure#1 and the salt needs to be adjusted.
SOMEWHERE on this site i know there's a chart or reference that explains the  substitution ratios.

I used a compilation of several recipes, tweaked a bit.
Makes a not-too-salty, rather sweet/spiced ham profile; heating it in a pan seem to bring out the maple flavor, especially on THICK slices:

For 8.5 lbs of pork
Kosher salt (.65lbs/295g )
filtered water (1 quart)
unfiltered apple juice (1 quart)
Cure#1 (68g)
Sugar (113g/1/4lb)
REAL maple syrup (1 cup)
Allspice (whole) (1.5 TBL)
Black peppercorns (whole) (2 TBL)
Bay leaves (4-6)

Bring all ingredients (except for pork & cure!) to a boil in a pot. Let brine cool before adding cure and pouring over pork.

Thank you brother!

I will look and see if I can find the subtitution ratios!
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

Kevin A

Here's some useful information regarding the cures and their application:

Here: http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?736-Curing-Salts

...and this info taken from two sources ("Charcuterie" & Marianski):

If the meat is going to be heat processed (smoked, fried, grilled, or cooked above 150 degrees in any manner) such as bacon, hams, snack-sticks, jerky, etc. etc.
You will want to use Cure #1 or Tender-Quick.
If you are doing dry-aged meats that get no cooking before eating such as a true Prosciutto ham, Landjager, authentic pepperoni, Mettwurst, etc.
You will need cure #2.

Never substitute one cure formulation for another, follow recipes which are published by a reputable source.
Follow all sanitation procedures to the letter. Home-curing meats is not a place you want to improvise, the results could be deadly.

The biggest concern is the spores produced by C. Botulinum bacteria, the spores produce the deadliest toxin known to man, and it is typically fatal in all but a few cases. The Word Botulism is derived from the Latin word for Sausage since that is where this deadly strain of bacteria was first isolated.
Botulinum bacteria is present everywhere, it is fairly harmless until it produces spores. Botulinum requires a low-oxygen environment, with moisture, and temperatures between 40-140 to propagate. Normal cooking procedures do not make the toxins less deadly, so cooking infected meats does not make it safe to eat if C. Botulinum spores are present

Tender-Quick ratios:
Per each pound of whole muscle meat that will be cured in whole form:  use 1 TBL of Tender-Quick.
For ground meats: use 1.5 tsp per each pound

Cure #1: use 4-ounces by weight, per each 100 pounds of meat, or 1 level tsp per each 5-pounds.

Salt: You'll want Kosher salt for best results, and at a ratio of about 3% by weight.
This is not as critical for cured meats that will be heat processed, but if you ever get into dry-aged meats and sausages this is very important.
Always try to weigh salts and cures instead of relying on volumetric measurements. Different brands of kosher salt when measured by the cup can have a weight difference of up to 50%. So you may either get something so salty it is inedible, or something that did not have enough salt and a nasty bacteria was allowed to grow because of it.

------------------------

Reliable info is a GOOD thing when it comes to food-safety.

Kevin :)

4given

Quote from: Kevin A on March 02, 2013, 07:51:23 AM
Here's some useful information regarding the cures and their application:

Here: http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?736-Curing-Salts

...and this info taken from two sources ("Charcuterie" & Marianski):

If the meat is going to be heat processed (smoked, fried, grilled, or cooked above 150 degrees in any manner) such as bacon, hams, snack-sticks, jerky, etc. etc.
You will want to use Cure #1 or Tender-Quick.
If you are doing dry-aged meats that get no cooking before eating such as a true Prosciutto ham, Landjager, authentic pepperoni, Mettwurst, etc.
You will need cure #2.

Never substitute one cure formulation for another, follow recipes which are published by a reputable source.
Follow all sanitation procedures to the letter. Home-curing meats is not a place you want to improvise, the results could be deadly.

The biggest concern is the spores produced by C. Botulinum bacteria, the spores produce the deadliest toxin known to man, and it is typically fatal in all but a few cases. The Word Botulism is derived from the Latin word for Sausage since that is where this deadly strain of bacteria was first isolated.
Botulinum bacteria is present everywhere, it is fairly harmless until it produces spores. Botulinum requires a low-oxygen environment, with moisture, and temperatures between 40-140 to propagate. Normal cooking procedures do not make the toxins less deadly, so cooking infected meats does not make it safe to eat if C. Botulinum spores are present

Tender-Quick ratios:
Per each pound of whole muscle meat that will be cured in whole form:  use 1 TBL of Tender-Quick.
For ground meats: use 1.5 tsp per each pound

Cure #1: use 4-ounces by weight, per each 100 pounds of meat, or 1 level tsp per each 5-pounds.

Salt: You'll want Kosher salt for best results, and at a ratio of about 3% by weight.
This is not as critical for cured meats that will be heat processed, but if you ever get into dry-aged meats and sausages this is very important.
Always try to weigh salts and cures instead of relying on volumetric measurements. Different brands of kosher salt when measured by the cup can have a weight difference of up to 50%. So you may either get something so salty it is inedible, or something that did not have enough salt and a nasty bacteria was allowed to grow because of it.

------------------------

Reliable info is a GOOD thing when it comes to food-safety.

Kevin :)

Thanks Kevin!  I went ahead and started a half a loin going Saturday using the dry method since I didn't know how much tenderquick to use in a solution. When I am out of TQ maybe I will order some cure #1 and try your recipie.

Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Webber "Q" 100

Habanero Smoker

You can use TQ to make a wet brine, but it is not the best cure mix to use in a wet brine; because you have no control of how much salt you want to add.

Morton's directions state to use 1 cup of TQ per 1 gallon of liquid; or 1/4 cup TQ per 1 quart of liquid. If you use TQ in Kevin's recipe, you would remove the cure; salt and sugar from the ingredient list, and use TQ at the rate stated by Morton. Using TQ for a wet brine can get expensive.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Bear55