Is it cured?

Started by Biggun, April 25, 2006, 02:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggun

Just tried my first batch of bacon, with butts and loins. Believe it when you read curing stops if it is too cold! After tossing the butts with the green tinge (ugh!), I thoroughly checked the loins, no discolor or off smell, so in they went! Cooked to 150* using HM cure and directions. Looked good, inside definitely pink. Is that in and of itself proof they cured, as I didn't see any "uncured" light spots? Haven't eaten anything yet, gonna overnight them in the fridge first.

BTW, it wasn't that I didn't believe low temps would slow/stop cure, just didn't know how cold the fridge was. It's the outside one in the garage, and seems its running 32-34* (no wonder everyone likes my beer!). Have put a therm in it and slowly adjusting it up.

Thanks a million in advance!

iceman

Welcome Biggun; To bad about the butts. We all get to start somewhere and sometimes things go boink! I still haven't got to making any bacon yet. Every time I remember it's to late to get it in the cure. This summer for sure. Good luck on the loins. ;)

MallardWacker

Quote from: Biggun on April 25, 2006, 02:34:44 PM

BTW, it wasn't that I didn't believe low temps would slow/stop cure, just didn't know how cold the fridge was. It's the outside one in the garage, and seems its running 32-34* (no wonder everyone likes my beer!). Have put a therm in it and slowly adjusting it up.

Welcome! BIGGUN

You are correct, great for beer/Diet Pepsi BAD for curing.  This is my take on Temps:

QuoteCuring times:

Your temp of the fridge should be about 40deg.  Much colder than that it might stop the curing process.
Just an note here: I have edited these temps as I was reminded by someone that the danger zones for meats by the FDA is the 40's.  He also stated that he keeps his fridge between 35-38 and has had no problems with the process stopping.  I know there are plenty of directions out there that state the higher temps.

I keep my fridge when I am curing at 40deg.

Also when doing loins consider a higher internal temp, then you can eat at will.  Cold and uncooked or fried, cut them thicker and toss them on the grill.  By far makes the best BLT's ever.  I eat most of my loins without ever cooking it again.  This is my take on internal temps:

QuoteA few words about internal temp.  I have started smoking mine to a internal temp between 153 and 155 deg.  It has been stated that Canada law say that everything (like this) must be done till a temp of 150deg.  At 151 or 152 all meat is suppose to be safe to eat with out any more cooking.  So with that in mind , choose your temps and cook or (re-cook)at you own liking. Listed below is a thread about the subject.

You are also correct, you should be able to smell nothing.  If you get some form of funk going...toss it.

HTH's and have fun.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Biggun

Thanks for the quick replies, guys, appreciate it! MW, I'm just going through the experimenting phase, seeing if the lower temps provide more moistness- also see the logic in your higher temps for "ready to eat".

Again, I don't appear to have any "gaps" in the pinkness of the inside of the loins. Would that indicate a successful cure?

MallardWacker

Quote from: Biggun on April 26, 2006, 08:37:44 AM

Again, I don't appear to have any "gaps" in the pinkness of the inside of the loins. Would that indicate a successful cure?

I'd would probably eat it.  I can truly say  have never seen half way cured meat, I'm not saying it doesn't exists...I just have never seen it...maybe some one else will chime in on that one.  If it's pink all the way through I would think you are ok...the thing is cured meat does not smell (except for the flavoring), it should smell clean.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Biggun

Yeah, smells great. Tell you what, Mrs. Biggun is a pretty tough gal. I'll make her some breakfast, and see how the ol' paint is doing in 24-48 hours. I'll let you all know. ;)

MallardWacker

Quote from: Biggun on April 26, 2006, 08:59:59 AM
...Tell you what, Mrs. Biggun is a pretty tough gal. I'll make her some breakfast, and see how the ol' paint is doing in 24-48 hours. I'll let you all know. ;)

I garuuunteee it won't take 24hrs probably about 2-4 would be more like it.  I can see your wife doesn't read your posts...

When you fry it up, save some for a BLT...you'd be fighting for it after that.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

manxman

QuoteMrs. Biggun is a pretty tough gal. I'll make her some breakfast,

I like your style Biggun, letting your other half try it first!! Now why didn't I think of that! :D

Welcome to the forum, hopefully you will have more words of wisdom like this to impart!! ;)

If it is any consolation I was pretty nervous the first time I cured bacon, paid great attention the amount of cure used, thickness of meat, time and temperature of fridge but it soon becomes second nature.

I set my fridge at approx. 3C/37F for curing bacon for cold smoking, I also try and use the fridge as little as possible during the curing process for other things and only open it every couple of days to check progress during the 7-10 days curing.
Manxman

iceman

I know, let Mikey try it. He eats anything! (Old commercial). ;D
Quote from: manxman on April 26, 2006, 11:51:46 AM
QuoteMrs. Biggun is a pretty tough gal. I'll make her some breakfast,

I like your style Biggun, letting your other half try it first!! Now why didn't I think of that! :D

Welcome to the forum, hopefully you will have more words of wisdom like this to impart!! ;)

If it is any consolation I was pretty nervous the first time I cured bacon, paid great attention the amount of cure used, thickness of meat, time and temperature of fridge but it soon becomes second nature.

I set my fridge at approx. 3C/37F for curing bacon for cold smoking, I also try and use the fridge as little as possible during the curing process for other things and only open it every couple of days to check progress during the 7-10 days curing.

whitetailfan

If you're pink through and through, me thinks you're fine.  I have done some smoked chops that looked lighter in the middle but they were still fine.  Of course I grill them to fully cooked, so no biggie.  I sometimes still debate if it was not all the way cured, or if it just turned soft there.  Also could be a difference in the muscle.  One thing you will notice is that different densities of meat tissue will turn different shades of pink.  Think about a whole muscle ham.  Some parts are pink, and others down right red.  I feel this is a density thing, the harder the muscle works, the less the effect of brining vs the less used muscle.  Just a theory mind you.  Happy Bacon Trails.
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Biggun

Boy, I sure appreciate the feedback! First things first- Mrs. B is not only alive and well, but saw my post! :o Does free foot massages for a month sound fair? Anyway, I hate to sound like the proverbial broken record, but the bacon tasted like...ham. :( Good, and the loin I put maple syrup on definitely had a good taste, but still hammy, even after being in the fridge a couple of days. Close enough that I will try more experimenting, though.

MW, I will try a 170* cook on one, but I'm leery-  some of this was pretty dry after taking out at 150*.

WTF, I have to agree about the density issue- looked like someone had painted along the different muscle masses.

And, the fridge temp is reset! Next victim!

MallardWacker

Quote from: Biggun on April 29, 2006, 08:10:12 AM

MW, I will try a 170* cook on one, but I'm leery-  some of this was pretty dry after taking out at 150*.

I think I really said something wrong...155-160 should BE PLENTY...I'm sorry or bad or what ever they say.  My 160's have been coming out fine...I actually wrap mine in foil and let it set for a while, they seem to be moist & tender.  You are right it will taste hammy...try some cheap$$$$ cure from Butcher & Packer http://www.butcher-packer.com/pg_curing.htm.  I use the country and maple flavored.  Have you tried bellie yet???  Maybe that is what you are looking for.  Hay it's an adventure...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

JJC

Hi Biggun, weilcome to the Forum!  Sorry I didn't pick up on this earlier, but the proper range for curing is 35-40F (2-5C).  The lower temp is there to ensure the chemicals can penetrate the flesh, and the upper limit is there to limit bacterial growth.  If you could pick a narrower temp, I would choose 38-40F.
John
Newton MA

whitetailfan

Quote from: Biggun on April 29, 2006, 08:10:12 AM
Anyway, I hate to sound like the proverbial broken record, but the bacon tasted like...ham. :( Good, and the loin I put maple syrup on definitely had a good taste, but still hammy, even after being in the fridge a couple of days.
Gun,
Correcto on the flavour of HM BBB.  The only problem, is you will never get it to taste different, that's how HM wants it to taste.  Changing up the flavour requires another cure.  The Maple stuff from BP that MallardWacker is talking about tastes like "regular" bacon, and its what I use on bellies.  When whitetail doe wants to do a roast or butt, we use HM BBB.  She prefers that, I like my BP belly bacon.  Bust out a package of each and have a monster breakfast. ;D
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Biggun

Yeah, I'll have to do the old comparison test. I don't even know if I'll try to get bellies around here, sounds like they are pretty tough to find in non-ag areas, which Southern Calif certainly qualifies as. Every time I special order something through my butcher shop, it seems to become the most wanted product around ($$$$$$) even though it's usually just something fatty and tough! ???

Thanks again to all of you for your input- very timely and helpful! 8)