• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Tasso

Started by SmokinSignals, February 13, 2013, 10:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinSignals

Just made a batch of andouille sausage and decided to use the rest of the pork to make another Cajun staple for recipes.....Tasso.

Cut the pork into thin strips

Added the seasoning rub into a bowl and mixed together

After rubbing down the pork strips heavily with the season rub, I packed them into an airtight container and placed in the fridge for 7 days

After 7 days of curing, I placed the tasso on the bradley racks to air dry it overnight

Smoked the tasso to an IT temp of 155 and let cool down to room temp then vacuum sealed and placed in freezer for later recipes.

NePaSmoKer

So your just using kosher as a cure agent? Instead of cure #2

SmokinSignals

Yes, that is correct.  The tasso is hot smoked also.  I can post the recipe if you like.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: SmokinSignals on February 14, 2013, 09:34:19 AM
Yes, that is correct.  The tasso is hot smoked also.  I can post the recipe if you like.

You could post for other folks, i use a different tasso recipe and have so many recipes.

cobra6223

can you eat it like a jerky nugget or does it need to be cooked in recipes? as for the recipe post away.

SmokinSignals

You could eat it like jerky, but man oh man, you better have some tums sitting by if you do.  This stuff is spicy.  It is normally used to add some extra zip to recipes like red beans and rice, gumbos, jambalaya, etc.

3 Tbsp Kosher Salt
2 Tsp Cayenne
4 Tbsp Paprika
2 Tbsp Fresh Garlic, minced
2 Tbsp Coarsely Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 Tbsp White Pepper
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar

This will be enough for about 4 pounds of tasso.  Cut a lean cut of pork, like a loin, into 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick pieces.  Mix all the ingredients well, rub down the tasso with a thick coat, place in a covered air tight container for 3 days in fridge, on 3rd day take tasso out of container and place on elevated rack to air dry in fridge overnight.  Next day hot smoke tasso at 225 degrees until a IT temp of 150 is reached.  Take out of smoker and place a fan on the tasso to cool down to room temp, vacuum seal in smaller portions for recipes and freeze.

beefmann

great looking tasso

OU812