• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Searching isn't providing what I'm looking for...

Started by MT-ED, February 18, 2013, 07:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT-ED

Greetings all...I've been reading about all these modifications to the smokers. I thought with such a popular topic, and actions, that there would be a specific "Topic" where someone could find all the goodies in one place. I tried the search, but all I'm finding is a chaotic smattering of information. Can anyone PLEASE advise me how or where I might find the most efficient way to find modification information? Thanks in advance.

ed

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

KyNola

Welcome to the Forum! How long have you owned your Bradley Digital?  What leads you to believe that you need to modify your Bradley?  Are you disappointed with its performance?

water_bo

Thanks for the link as I was wondering how to make this easy bake oven better but was afraid to ask.

SmokinSignals

I have a DBS and was quite unimpressed with the way the cabinet temps fluctuate.  I was told that the fluctuations occur because the DBS actually shuts the heating element off when it reaches its target temp and turns the element back on once it falls below the dead band.  So the cabinet temps are up and down 20 plus degrees at times.  So I am currently making a PID controller to hold the temps better by allowing the power to the element to vary.  Also looking to do a fan mod at a later date.

MT-ED

Quote from: KyNola on February 18, 2013, 07:52:00 PM
Welcome to the Forum! How long have you owned your Bradley Digital?  What leads you to believe that you need to modify your Bradley?  Are you disappointed with its performance?

Kynola........you are going to really laugh at my answer.......it hasn't arrived yet!!!! I've read elsewhere about voiding warrantees and using it to find out if it will work as it is. I'm happy to do that for sure. I suppose one day, I'll need some as I do make my own sausage, and smoke lots of trout and salmon. BUT, I've got a lot of learning to do before I get to thinking about making any mods. I asked about them, because I just wanted to know what's going on, why people are doing them, what they're doing, etc. I purchased the 6 shelf digital, and I look forward to making things that require long slow smoking/cooking, that I couldn't do before without living at the smoker.

SO, not to worry......I'm not ready to start hacking and covering everything with duct tape...........yet! LOL

Ed

MT-ED

Quote from: GusRobin on February 18, 2013, 07:47:18 PM
Look in the mod section on the recipe site:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes

Thanks Gus!! I visited that site, and tried to register. When I got to the part where I needed to "copy" the letters, there were none!!! Is that a closed forum? I'm looking for any suggestions on how to overcome that snafu!!

Grouperman941

Quote from: MT-ED on February 18, 2013, 09:32:52 PM
Quote from: GusRobin on February 18, 2013, 07:47:18 PM
Look in the mod section on the recipe site:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes

Thanks Gus!! I visited that site, and tried to register. When I got to the part where I needed to "copy" the letters, there were none!!! Is that a closed forum? I'm looking for any suggestions on how to overcome that snafu!!

You don't have to register to read the posts.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Habanero Smoker

Hi MT-ED;

Welcome to the forum.

You don't have to register to look around, but we encourage you to do so. If you could, go to the bottom of the page and click on "Contact Us", and report the problem; that will help us work out the bugs. A lot of extra security had to be added to the site to prevent spammers.

I had my Bradley for about 1 year before adding a temperature controller, and about 3 years before I added the second element modification, and I am very happy I made both choices. I probably would have added both earlier, if those options and mods were available sooner.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

KyNola

Quote from: MT-ED on February 18, 2013, 09:30:19 PM
Quote from: KyNola on February 18, 2013, 07:52:00 PM
Kynola........you are going to really laugh at my answer.......it hasn't arrived yet!!!! I've read elsewhere about voiding warrantees and using it to find out if it will work as it is. I'm happy to do that for sure. I suppose one day, I'll need some as I do make my own sausage, and smoke lots of trout and salmon. BUT, I've got a lot of learning to do before I get to thinking about making any mods
Ed
No, not going to laugh at your answer at all.  The reason I inquired is we are seeing an influx of new members who feel an urgency to begin modding their Bradley immediately upon receipt of their unit before they know what it is capable of doing "as is".  I appreciate your wanting to research the topic prior to making any decisions.

Thanks for your reply.

MT-ED

Yeah, I'm one of the rare "males" that actually reads the owner's manuals!! I think it stated when I was a kid. My two brothers would always just tear into anything new we ever got. Not wanting to get into the fricass, I'd just grab the owner's manual and start reading (no competition there!!). Then, when they got to the point that it wasn't working.......you guessed it, I'd chime in with the answer since I had already read how to do it "the right way" !!!!!

Oh, HS....I saw you were a moderator or admin. over there. The problem I was having was the window that contained the "specified letters" for copying, never showed up!! I tried clicking on the "select a new choice" and it just blinked without creating a window. So, I was stuck. I tried to do the "contact us" thing, but it required being registered.....so catch 22!!

Hope that helps ya over thar!

Habanero Smoker

MT-ED;

I understand where you are coming from. I'm a manual type of guy also.

I was just over at the site, and I am having the same problem, that no image being displayed to verify. You should still be able to navigate around the site, and read about the mods that many members use to improve the performance of the Bradley. There are also a lot of information and recipes to get you started. Another option is to download the recipe file, which you shouldn't have to logon to download. With that download you will be able to view the recipes and other information offline. If you are running Windows 8, the information about 64 bit users is the same.
Recipe Download

I'm not the tech guy, I have admin privileges to maintain the threads, post recipes and the recipe download. When I receive more information from you I will send Cyber Guy and email. What browser and version are you using, and what OS and version are you using. Also the server you are using for your email (not your whole email address. For example if you are using Hotmail the post @hotmail.com; if you are using Google post @gmail.com etc. Send the information to me by email, or PM me.

Let me know if you are able to navigate around the site, and/or able to download the files.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ketch22