pulled pork

Started by murrhunts, February 19, 2013, 08:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

Here is a recipe I got from this site. Made it a couple  of times. It is addicting. To thicken it you can simmer longer or add baking soda(not much)
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Dr. Pepper
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
1 tablespoon Dales Seasoning (I use a mixture of 1/3 A-1 steak sauce and 2/3 soy sauce,)
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1/4 tablespoon cayenne pepper (or more depending on taste)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon liquid smoke

Combine and simmer until mixture is smooth (5 to 10 minutes)

**Note if you double this recipe it fits right back into a normal sized bottle of ketchup with just a little to spare.

Defiant

Looks good.  You can also take it out of the smoker and finish it in the oven at a higher temperature for 30 minutes to an hour or as long as needed. 

classicrockgriller

There are several recipes for pulled pork sauce on the recipe site.

Both the one by 10.5 and the one by Habanero Smoker are very good.

If you are lucky enough to have some Starnes, that is a winner.

Wildcat

Congradulations! It normally takes me 18 to 24 hours for a large butt. I am a little different - I cook at an average of 205 F until done.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

SmokinSignals

dirt1008

If I smoke mine for 4 hrs then move to the oven to finish, plan on setting oven on 220, should I wrap in foil when I move to the oven? The only reason I'm moving it to the oven is because I just got my smoker and my thermometer hasn't arrived yet. Figured if in the oven I could use a thermometer I have and opening the door won't affect it as much. I just don't want it to dry out.

KyNola

The choice to foil or not to foil is up to you.  Foiling will most likely aid in finishing the butt quicker.  Foiling may also inhibit the butt from forming a pronounced bark as the moisture coming from the butt and trapped in the foil may soften the bark.  My personal preference is to not foil a butt because I like the pronounced bark, so much so that I use molasses on the butt as the glue to hold the Rub.

It's all good my friend, choose whatever you prefer and go for it.

dirt1008

Quote from: KyNola on March 15, 2013, 08:32:33 AM
The choice to foil or not to foil is up to you.  Foiling will most likely aid in finishing the butt quicker.  Foiling may also inhibit the butt from forming a pronounced bark as the moisture coming from the butt and trapped in the foil may soften the bark.  My personal preference is to not foil a butt because I like the pronounced bark, so much so that I use molasses on the butt as the glue to hold the Rub.

It's all good my friend, choose whatever you prefer and go for it.
thank you for the help. I like bark as well, so I guess the drying out wont be too bad.

KyNola

They've never dried out on me.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Wildcat

Quote from: KyNola on March 15, 2013, 10:02:16 AM
They've never dried out on me.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Or me either. If anything, it is too moist. The bark tends to dry slightly which I think helps keep the moisture in the butt.

dirt1008

Shh it's sleeping.

TedEbear

Wildcat

Cool! How do ya keep everything from sliding down like that?

dirt1008

Quote from: Wildcat on March 16, 2013, 03:18:22 AM
Cool! How do ya keep everything from sliding down like that?
?

dirt1008