pulled pork

Started by murrhunts, February 19, 2013, 08:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

murrhunts

OK, pork is in the smoker.  I just used my own judgment on the temp to cook it at, I went with 180 until I hit 190 IT like told on the forum.  Is this OK?  I am going with 4 hours of hickory smoke.

Here is a few pics before we started smoking, man I hope it turns out good.  I put a dry rub on it for 24 hrs.

And into the smoker

Took the pics with my phone have to figure out how to make them bigger.

And I have to add, its the first time with using the frog mats.

Smokeville

180 is too low. It's not unsafe but it will take too long to cook the meat. You can pump up the smoker to 225-250F. The cabinet won't likely get that hot but all will be good in the end.

Photos when done, please!

Rich

classicrockgriller

Bump that temp up some.

Gonna be kinda hard (impossible) to bring the IT to 190 using

180 as cooking temp.

Defiant

I set the temperature of the smoker to 225 degrees.  I smoke with Hickory for four to five hours, but continue in the smoker usually all day.  I sometime will have to finish it in the oven also.

Defiant

If you are referring to the internal temperature of the meat, I usually go to 185 degrees and wrap in foil, a towel, and place it in an empty cooler. (FTC)

BAM1

Like they said.  It will take FOREVER to get to 180.  I usually take mine to 190 - 200 and then FTC for a couple hours
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

GusRobin

Yeah, you will never get to 190* IT if your smoker is set at 180*. I cook mine at 225* to an IT of 195ish with 4 hours of smoke in the beginning, then FTC for 2-3 hours. All in all an 8 lb butt takes me on average about 18-20 hrs (not including FTC) depending upon the disposition of the pig (some are more stubborn).
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

murrhunts

Ok I bumped my heat up to 230, my IT is at 130 so far after 5 hours.

What is FTC?

And what is the purpose of wrapping in foil or towel and in a cooler?

Thanks for the help guys

Wildcat

Foil Towel Cooler. A way of maintaining heat after cooking. I have found that the FTC is great for Brisket to get really tender but only serves to prolong the cooling process until dinner time for the butts. My butts have always been so tender after cooking that they practically fall apart getting them out of the smoker. If it is almost dinner time, I simply put on the counter with a loose piece of foil on top to rest for an hour or so before pulling. Nothing wrong with FTC on butts - just not necessary.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

murrhunts

KyNola

Don't forget that the internal temp of the butt is going to stall at somewhere around 150 or so for a few hours.  Don't panic and don't bump the heat up in the tower.  The stall is when all the magic is happening to the butt.  Just ride it out.  The temp will start to climb once again.

GusRobin

Quote from: murrhunts on February 19, 2013, 12:47:38 PM
Ok I bumped my heat up to 230, my IT is at 130 so far after 5 hours.

What is FTC?

And what is the purpose of wrapping in foil or towel and in a cooler?

Thanks for the help guys

You may be in for a long night.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

murrhunts

Well it was a long night is right, 3 am it was finally done.  I fell a sleep for a while got up and check on it, next time I will make sure to put it in on a Friday night and take care of it on Saturday afternoon.

I had off the past 3 days that's why I figured I would give it a whirl.

Finished product in the smoker

Shredded up, I didn't add sauce because my wife and I like two different kind.  She wants just a plan red BBQ sauce, if anyone has any good recipes I would appreciated one.  I made a thin dipping sauce with a little tang to it.

It fell apart as soon as I put a fork into it, at 3am it tasted great.  Hope it is as good reheated tonight.  It was fun next time I will either get a bigger one or a few more the same size.

Grouperman941

Looks good. Flavor should improve as it sits.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Smokeville

It will be great!!!!!!

Good job. The 1st is always the hardest on the nerves (and sleep). The first one I ever did I had no idea about the timing or the stall, so when it stopped at about 165F just before dinner we had to eat it. It wouldn't pull so I had to carve it. It wasn't pulled pork but it tasted pretyy good anyway.

Rich