• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Tennessee Dried Sausage Links

Started by NePaSmoKer, February 24, 2013, 10:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Making 5 lbs of Tennessee dried cold smoked sausage links.

Here are my dry items.

Top left
1 T dark brown sugar
1 T ground oregano combined with 4t black pepper
2 T ground sage

Top middle
5 t red pepper flakes
4 T smoked paprika

Top right
1 t CURE #2
2.5 T non iodized salt
5 t garlic powder

And 1/2 cup JD

Combine the cure and salt, set aside.

Mix in the remaining dry items into the JD and set aside.

Its kinda warm today so i need to keep the grinder neck cold. I use a frozen sports wrap to do that. (Never freezer grinder parts)

Grind pork thru med plate 1x

Put the combined salt/cure in a baggie and just snip the end. You can mix into meat better.

After the salt/cure has been mixed now i add the JD mixture. I mix by hand.

Smells freaking awesome.

Now going in a big ziplock and fridge so i can clean up my tools before stuffing.

BBL

classicrockgriller

Better hurry before Momma gets home.

beefmann

drano

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 24, 2013, 10:29:36 AM

Its kinda warm today so i need to keep the grinder neck cold. I use a frozen sports wrap to do that. (Never freezer grinder parts)

Please educate me on why not freeze grinder parts.  I've read other places to freeze the neck/auger/knives so it helps keep the meat cold.  Too much stress on them when they're cold? 
Thanks

And this looks like an interesting recipe.  Its gotta be good with Jack in it. 

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: drano on February 24, 2013, 10:45:30 AM

Please educate me on why not freeze grinder parts.  I've read other places to freeze the neck/auger/knives so it helps keep the meat cold.  Too much stress on them when they're cold? 
Thanks

And this looks like an interesting recipe.  Its gotta be good with Jack in it.

Freezing expands the metal, Meaning the auger is to tight in the grinder throat causing metal to metal heat and can cause the meat to smear.

NePaSmoKer

Getting them stuffed.

Now 48 hours hanging then 8 hours of cold smoke.

OU812

watchdog56

I freeze my auger and bit all the time. Never a problem as far as I know. :o

cobra6223

Well once again Rick you femind me of a NASCAR thriller movie, you keep us on the edge of our seats because we never know what's going to happen next!! :D Looks interresting, besides with your hands or tinsels how do eat them?

lumpy

And thats when I called :o

Looking good amigo.

Lump

Tenpoint5

Quote from: drano on February 24, 2013, 10:45:30 AM

Thanks

Also its a bad habit to get into because if your going to be doing a second grind on the meat you just stuck into the freezer. You MIGHT just put the whole assembly into the FREEZER instead of in the Fridge to keep cold. Then when you reassemble to finish the grind. You tear up the gears and everything else that makes your grinder go on the inside. Why because everything is frozen SOLID in the grinder throat/worm/cutter assembly! Didn't happen to me, and I ain't naming names, but it has happened!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SmokinSignals

Looks good, looking forward to see how it tastes.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 24, 2013, 01:16:24 PM
Getting them stuffed.

Now 48 hours hanging then 8 hours of cold smoke.

I got a crazy idea. Why not integrate the racks of your new sausage hanging closet into the built in sliders. That way you can pull them out and make it easier to unchanged them. ;D
Ok, back to watching tv :P

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

SiFumar

Oh my..... they look and sound good!

NePaSmoKer

8 hours of cold smoke.

Now 7 days in the RV Larder.